CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Salvage Title

Ed Hall

I’m thinking about buying a 1999 Eldorado with 20K that has been hit on the passenger door. It was hit hard enough that it was issued a salvage title. The damage didn’t affect any of the running gear so it still drives. Frankly, I’m surprised that they issued a salvage title on this car. It must be due to some frame damage. I’m going to check out the car a little closer on Saturday and take some cross measurements. My question is what is the minimum that would be required to pass inspection and be able to drive this car. Do they look under the car to make sure the frame is absolutely straight? It looks like I can just stick a door and fender and it would look acceptable. The air bags are good and even the crunched in door glass didn’t break. I would still fix the car up but at a later date but for right now I need a car to drive. Also, if the license is not expired, could I just put on insurance and drive it?

IPB Image

I’m thinking about buying a 1999 Eldorado with 20K that has been hit on the passenger door. It was hit hard enough that it was issued a salvage title. The damage didn’t affect any of the running gear so it still drives. Frankly, I’m surprised that they issued a salvage title on this car. It must be due to some frame damage. I’m going to check out the car a little closer on Saturday and take some cross measurements. My question is what is the minimum that would be required to pass inspection and be able to drive this car. Do they look under the car to make sure the frame is absolutely straight? It looks like I can just stick a door and fender and it would look acceptable. The air bags are good and even the crunched in door glass didn’t break. I would still fix the car up but at a later date but for right now I need a car to drive. Also, if the license is not expired, could I just put on insurance and drive it?

:o My 1990 Cadillac Deville has a salvage title. In Kentucky, you have to take it to the county seat along with the repair papers (parts, bodyshop receipts, etc). The sheriff inspects the vehicle. Basically, this means they check the vin number and that's it. I've done several vehicles this way and they have never even gone so far as to look at the vehicle other than matching the vin number.

My advice to you would be find out how it's done where you live, and talk to someone who has been through the ordeal.

Marko

I'm in California. Since the car drives fine, could I drive it down in the shape that it's in and get this car registered. I don't see any safety risk the way its in, just ugly. They only want $3K for the car which I think is a good deal.

IPB Image

I checked the California DMV website and it says that it has to go through inspection before it can be registered. It says that they check to make sure the airbags are OK. They don't say what else they check for in terms of repairs or if anything other than the airbags needing to be repaired.

IPB Image

Archived