CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

increase power

TeeMac

Does anybody know how I can increase proformance and power in my 1997 Seville STS without spending a lot of money? I would like to put a K & N filter in it but they don't make one to fit my year. Does anybody know what year will be compatable wih my '97 Seville? Also, does anybody know the sequence of buttoms I need to press to look at my computer codes?

If you check the archives on performance upgrades you will find that there is not much you can do to increase your cars performance. Most, but not all say the K&N filter does't increase your power. About the only thing you can do for extra power is an aftermarket exhaust system. The northstar engine from the factory is about maxed out. To pull your codes go to your car's climate control system and push the off and passenger side temp button up and hold for a moment. You must also have your ignition on, not started but on. When you get the codes post them and you will get plenty of help as to what they mean. Good luck.

Like burekv said, if you are planning on getting a K&N filter, we would highly recommend ALSO modifying the exhaust system. Both of these work together, and opening up the intake tract without also opening up the exhaust tract probably won't get you anywhere. These modifications working in concert with each other will likely result in better performance.

A note about accessing the codes, you can do that whether the car is running or not. In fact, you can clear codes as you're driving down the road. I had a pesky P0404 code that would pop up every now and then on the Interstate (come to think of it, haven't got that one in a while...) and the SERVICE ENGINE SOON light would pop on. I'd just ease into the OBD system and clear the code, going down the road. Not hard at all, and if with practice, it's no more distracting than turning the radio volume up or down. :)

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Archived