CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

C1711

cthier

I have a 98 Seville with a trouble code of C1711 - Left Front Damper Actuator Short Circuit to Ground. I have ruled out the Damper and wanted to test for a short from the control module. So my question is where is the suspension control module on a 1998 Cadillac?

Behind the rear seat cushion at the level of the trunk pass-through on the RH side. Two connectors.

If you know for sure the damper valve is OK, you must have a manual of some kind. The manual should show location (?).

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

• 3 weeks later...

Behind the rear seat cushion at the level of the trunk pass-through on the RH side. Two connectors.

If you know for sure the damper valve is OK, you must have a manual of some kind. The manual should show location (?).

Thanks for the information. No I did not have a manual but I have since purchased one. The trouple shooting flow chart came to the same conclusion :Replace the cvrss module. OUCH!

If you have any electronics experience at all, you might consider opening your "failed" module and looking/sniffing for fried components before you put down the $$ for a replacement.

I have not been into any of the modules on mine, but I doubt if they contain surface mount technology (which takes me out of the resistor/capacitor replacement game).

Good luck with it.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

If you have any electronics experience at all, you might consider opening your "failed" module and looking/sniffing for fried components before you put down the $$ for a replacement.

By all means, do this. A small but signifigant percentage of modules fail due to poor solder joints where connectors mate with the printed circuit board. Also, if you see a high wattage resistor or two (1 watt +), check the solder joints there as well.

Also look for high power solid state devices with a metal "tab" bolted to any metal surface for heat dissipation purposes. These are also prime candidates for bad solder joints.

Go over the entire board with a good magnifying glass looking for bad solder joints.

I've "fixed" a handful of modules for my friendly auto tech this way, without even knowing the function of the unit.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Archived