CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

STS peformance differences?

fast 600

Hi

I've been searching on here but cannot find what I am looking for.

I just purchased a 2002 STS, I also own a 1994 STS.

Specs show the 2002 should have 5 more hp over the 1994. I have driven both and the 1994 seems much more dominant over the 2002. The 02 which I purchased is stronger than the previous 02 I was test driving from another dealer, but not as strong as the 94.

Is this a smoother power I am not use too?

Thanks Les........

The 1994-97 model years were on a lighter chassis (almost 200lb's lighter I believe). This is why the 1997 and older cars are a tiny bit faster than the 1998-04 cars. Even with 5 less hp, and 5 less lb/ft of torque, it'll still be about as fast as the 02 due to the weight difference. The 1995-1997 models years seem to be the fastest of the bunch. In terms of 1/4 times, the 1995-1997 cars will run a 14.7 rather consitently, while the 1998-04 cars will run consistent 14.8's. It's not a HUGE difference per say, but it is a difference none the less. At least you get better gizmos and gadgets in the '02 that you don't in the '94.

how long was the test drive in the 02 you passed on? you are saying that you could feel the difference in 2 identical cars? why did you buy the car you bought? color, price, condition, miles? or because it had more power? just yanking your chain a little. could be axle ratio? maybe your computers timing control/fuel delivery is at high end/low of manufacturing spec.

how long was the test drive in the 02 you passed on? you are saying that you could feel the difference in 2 identical cars? why did you buy the car you bought? color, price, condition, miles? or because it had more power? just yanking your chain a little. could be axle ratio? maybe your computers timing control/fuel delivery is at high end/low of manufacturing spec.

About 15 miles

Yes

Same color, $1,500.00 cheaper, nicer condition, more gadgets, less miles.

I did not test drive the car I purchased.

Axle ratio same.

Thanks for input.

GM installed some lousy Catalytic converters on most car lines in 2002... These Cats "over cook" and gradually plug themselves over time... Most service reps know about this (the good news) and the Cats are warrantied for 8 years (even better news) BUT most dealers will not replace the until you car issues code P0420 (bad news)...

GM knows about this an issued a TSB

Service Engine Soon (SES) Light On, Reduced Vehicle Power/Acceleration/Speed, Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) P0420 (Diagnosis and Replace Catalytic Converter) #03-06-04-028 - (May 15, 2003)

Service Engine Soon (SES) Light on, Reduced Vehicle Power/Acceleration/Speed, Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) P0420 (Diagnosis and Replace Catalytic Converter)

2002-2003 Cadillac DeVille, Seville

Condition

Some customers may comment of the SES light on and/or possible reduced vehicle power, acceleration and reduced top speed. DTC P0420 may be set.

Cause

The catalytic converter efficiency may be too low and/or restricted.

Correction

Follow the service procedure below for catalytic converter diagnosis and replacement

The rest of the TSB goes on on how to cut out a cat and bolt in the new one...

The part is not cheap (~$800) and most dealers will not replace it without the code... You could ask them about this and see how much they will charge you to test its back pressure...

My car ran like it had a second engine bolted in after they replaced my Cat.

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

GM installed some lousy Catalytic converters on most car lines in 2002... These Cats "over cook" and gradually plug themselves over time... Most service reps know about this (the good news) and the Cats are warrantied for 8 years (even better news) BUT most dealers will not replace the until you car issues code P0420 (bad news)...

GM knows about this an issued a TSB

Service Engine Soon (SES) Light On, Reduced Vehicle Power/Acceleration/Speed, Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) P0420 (Diagnosis and Replace Catalytic Converter) #03-06-04-028 - (May 15, 2003)

Service Engine Soon (SES) Light on, Reduced Vehicle Power/Acceleration/Speed, Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) P0420 (Diagnosis and Replace Catalytic Converter)

2002-2003 Cadillac DeVille, Seville

Condition

Some customers may comment of the SES light on and/or possible reduced vehicle power, acceleration and reduced top speed. DTC P0420 may be set.

Cause

The catalytic converter efficiency may be too low and/or restricted.

Correction

Follow the service procedure below for catalytic converter diagnosis and replacement

The rest of the TSB goes on on how to cut out a cat and bolt in the new one...

The part is not cheap (~$800) and most dealers will not replace it without the code... You could ask them about this and see how much they will charge you to test its back pressure...

My car ran like it had a second engine bolted in after they replaced my Cat.

Would this explain poor milege?

Do you have a TSB number?

Thanks Les....

The TSB# is in there...

#03-06-04-028 - (May 15, 2003)

How bad is the mileage? with my plugged cat I was loosing about 3 miles a gallon

From mid 16s into low 13s...

Another way to see if you car has a problem is to perform a wide open 6500 RPM 2-3 shift... With a plugged cat this shift takes FOREVER... as the revs s-l-o-w-l-y inch up to 6500...

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

The TSB# is in there...

#03-06-04-028 - (May 15, 2003)

How bad is the mileage? with my plugged cat I was loosing about 3 miles a gallon

From mid 16s into low 13s...

Another way to see if you car has a problem is to perform a wide open 6500 RPM 2-3 shift... With a plugged cat this shift takes FOREVER... as the revs s-l-o-w-l-y inch up to 6500...

It is running in the 16's, I will have to give it a run. Thanks Les.......

Archived