CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Engine Removal

taa99sts

I'm in the process of doing the head gasket repair on my 99 STS and currently working to remove the engine from the top. My question is at this time is what to do with the A/C system if I don't have anyway to recover the refrigerent? Any other tips will also help in my endeavor.

P.S. This is my first attempt at major engine work. I thought it would be a great learning experience.

Tim

If the engine compartment is the same as the earlier models, there is no need to open the AC system. Just unbolt the compressor and tie it aside with nylon tiestraps.

See attached image for 1993 STS.

post-3-1097034104.jpg

Drive'em like you own 'em. - ....................04 DTS............................

DTS_Signature.jpg

One more image of engine compartment.

post-3-1097034179.jpg

Drive'em like you own 'em. - ....................04 DTS............................

DTS_Signature.jpg

Let me know if you can get the 99 engine out from the top.. I have a 99 and i'm going to rebuild the engine sometime in the next year or so, so it would be nice to know what the procedure is to get it out.

I see you left the tranny in there :) How did you manage that one.

If the engine compartment is the same as the earlier models, there is no need to open the AC system. Just unbolt the compressor and tie it aside with nylon tiestraps.

See attached image for 1993 STS.

Good Idea Growe3 to just remove the compressor!! ;)

Let me know if you can get the 99 engine out from the top.. I have a 99 and i'm going to rebuild the engine sometime in the next year or so, so it would be nice to know what the procedure is to get it out.

I see you left the tranny in there :) How did you manage that one.

Just pulled the engine from the top.

-George

post-3-1097092249.gif

DTS_Signature.jpg

How did you support the tranny?

You don't have to support the tranny on a FWD cadillac because the engine cradle holds it in place. On other hand, if you remove the tranny from the bottom, then you have to support the engine.

IPB Image

Hmm.. i've been looking at mine and I don't think there is enough room to pull the engine out the top without maybe removing the radiator and then picking the engine up and sliding it forward then lifting it up. How did you disconnect the tranny from the engine? Just slide the engine to the left to pull it out and then lift it? I've always taken the trannies our first before removing the engine but those were all RWD cars. which made it very simple to remove

• 4 weeks later...

After finally getting my hands on a hoist, I got the engine out from the top. It was tight, but managed to get it out without much mishap (dented brake line). Maybe the better way is from the bottom onh the cradle. I just may put it back in that way. Thanks to Ali for his advice. Now on to the head gaskets and maybe an overhaul. Any thoughts out there would be appreciated. Engine has 74000 miles on it. Thinking of taking it to a local engine shop that said they've rebuilt Northstars. I'll keep you all posted.

post-3-1099192263.jpg

Yeah, no kidding. I bought it on Halloween 2 years ago with 47000 miles on it. Six months later it started leaking a little coolant (no visible signs), replace water pump, but continued to get worse. It was previously a leased vehicle. I think it was neglected. Now that's a real shame.

Tim

That would mean it was 3 yrs old with 47K when you bought it. It wasn't due for a coolant change for two more years or 100K. what other kind of neglect could it have had to cause head gaskets to go bad?

After finally getting my hands on a hoist, I got the engine out from the top. It was tight, but managed to get it out without much mishap (dented brake line). Maybe the better way is from the bottom onh the cradle. I just may put it back in that way. Thanks to Ali for his advice. Now on to the head gaskets and maybe an overhaul. Any thoughts out there would be appreciated. Engine has 74000 miles on it. Thinking of taking it to a local engine shop that said they've rebuilt Northstars. I'll keep you all posted.

I noticed you have the engine "tipper" mounted lengthwise. I don't see how that was helping you. I mounted it widthwise as the hardest part was angling out from under the heater barrier without the exhaust flange hitting it. Otherwise it was a very straight foreword engine removal.

It is a close fit going back in, so watch the heater barrier closely to avoid any damage.

Good luck, George

DTS_Signature.jpg

Archived