CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Squeek from front brake in Park

lothos

With the car in park, I apply the brake to shift and I can hear the driver's side front brake squeeking. I have some white lithium grease, is this something that can be greased or do I eventually need a new caliper?

If I can grease it, what should I be greasing?

Thanks for the help guys.

WARNING: I'm a total car newbie, don't be surprised if I ask a stupid question! Just trying to learn.

Cheers!

5% discount code at RockAuto.com - click here for your discount!

I found this post from growe3:

It is Silicone Grease, NOT petroleum grease, as per the Cadillac Service Manual.

The grease must be applied to specific areas in small adequate amounts, not liberally.

Note: Front Disk Brake Caliper is described; Rear Disk Brake Caliper is similar.

The mounting pins (caliper sliders) need to be clean and free moving. Do not try to remove the sleeve from the bolt, just work it free. I use spray brake cleaner to do this. It works fast and will dry clean very fast without leaving any residue. When clean, sleeve will move without any resistance on the pin.

After cleaning the pins, pull the sleeve away from the pinhead and apply a small amount of grease (using the small packet of Silicone Grease that comes with the brake pads) to the exposed inner area. Work the sleeve with a twisting, and back & forth motion to get the grease smeared under the sleeve. Place aside on a clean surface.

Clean the rubber bushing on the caliper with spray brake cleaner and a round parts cleaner brush if you have one. Allow a few minutes to dry.

Apply a small amount of Silicone Grease to the outside of the pin sleeve. Push the pin into the rubber bushing on the caliper. It will be stiff. Work the pin back and forth until it move smoothly. There will always be some resistance.

Reinstall the caliper on the car. After tightening the pins, you should be able to grasp the caliper and move it in and out; it will be a little stiff but should move smoothly. The stiffness helps keep the caliper from "chattering", but the caliper must move smoothly to stay in proper adjustment.

Greasing the back of the brake pads (or any other area) provides no benefit. It does however put grease in an area that gets hot and could allow grease to migrate to the brake pads themselves. Not a sensible idea to pursue.

-George

Anyone have a recommended silicon grease? Is it also the type of silicon grease that I can use for the rubber weather strips on my doors? What else is it used for? Looks like I'll grab some brake cleaner, too.

WARNING: I'm a total car newbie, don't be surprised if I ask a stupid question! Just trying to learn.

Cheers!

5% discount code at RockAuto.com - click here for your discount!

Anyone have a recommended silicon grease? Is it also the type of silicon grease that I can use for the rubber weather strips on my doors? What else is it used for? Looks like I'll grab some brake cleaner, too.

Sil-Glyde is a name brand sil grease. You can get it in a larger tube or you can get small packets from autozone/advance. GM also has their own sil grease available.

Not sure about the weatherstriping on your doors.

Jonah

BTW, your post confuses me, what could be squeeling? The pins? Maybe you can pull the wheel and have someone else push the brake while you are down by the brakes to see if you can pinpoint where it is comming from. Ive never heard brakes squeel when you are not moving.

Also, I dont know how good brake cleaner is for the rubber... I cant remember if it has petroleum products in it, which I think are bad for the rubber, thats why you cannot use regular grease I believe.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Jonah

Archived