CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

A Shocking Question - Revisited

growe3

Well I thought I'd post my results on converting the electrically controlled shocks on my 93' STS.

I bought the complete package to replace the front struts as well as the rear shocks from Arnott Inc. $579 + $35 shipping.

The R & R of the rear shocks was pretty straight forward, no outward signs of shock failure and they both held air.

One annoying problem with the replacement shocks was that they did not have the push clip stud retainer, like the OEM shocks. I did a work around and got them installed.

Another item that was a small nuisance was the extra length of the electrical cable, it meant some careful routing and tying the extra length up so that it would not drape on the exhaust pipe that is directly below the connections.

On the plus side, the shocks work great. All of the "sharp" is gone from the rear of the car, and no error codes.

I feel very comfortable recommending these shocks to anyone that wants to replace there OEM shocks with this companies passive shocks.

As soon as I get the Eibach Pro springs in a week or so, I will be putting the front struts on.

-George

Original Post

http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?sho...670&hl=shocking

Drive'em like you own 'em. - ....................04 DTS............................

DTS_Signature.jpg

George's detailed photo essay on the change is available here:

http://www.caddyinfo.com/howto/shockreplacement.htm

It is a powerpoint presentation html file set, so be patient with the load times but it is worth the wait. Nicely done and informative.

slide0004_image032.jpg

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

George,

What a great presentation on the rear shock replacement. Thanks for taking the time to take photos and post it for the forum!

What a great educational tool, I can really grasp information if I have a visual to go along with the textual instructions.

Effort like this is what makes this a great forum.

John

John

George,

Excellent job!! :o can you tell the difference with the new shocks? I don't want to loose the active suspension...how about over violently rough road? still track as well as before?

thank you for all the work in adding this to the sight...

jim

George,

What a great presentation on the rear shock replacement. Thanks for taking the time to take photos and post it for the forum!

What a great educational tool, I can really grasp information if I have a visual to go along with the textual instructions.

Effort like this is what makes this a great forum.

John

You're welcome John.

Perhaps the hardest part about putting together a "photo story" is stopping freqently enough to take pictures of steps along the way. You have to keep stopping and cleaning your hands, to keep the camera clean.

If it helps encourage others to tackle some repairs that can be done by the car owners, I think it is worth it.

The next stage will be the Eibach springs and front struts very soon.

-George

Drive'em like you own 'em. - ....................04 DTS............................

DTS_Signature.jpg

George,

Excellent job!! :o can you tell the difference with the new shocks?  I don't want to loose the active suspension...how about over violently rough road? still track as well as before?

thank you for all the work in adding this to the sight...

jim

Thanks Jim.

I too held off on changing to a passive shock system, and to keep the car intact with its electrical controlled active suspension. Unfortunately all mechanical things do wear out after a while, but the OEM replacement parts are priced for such a ridiculess amount I just could not justify buying them.

The car rides great and I haven't replaced the front struts yet, I will be doing them in about a week. The car is still solid and feels great. :D

-George

DTS_Signature.jpg

Very nice post.

You need to help me out here. Your picture 10 of 21 refers to this as a passive shock. I thought a passive device wouldn't have any electrical connections. I was under the impression that if the electrical connection was present then the component was considered active. As for the front passive struts (AC delco part # 580-2 for the pair of struts $160 delevered) that was posted a few days back was another nice presentation by MAGDOG showing the replacement of worn out active front struts being replaced with passive struts. The electrical connection was at the top (see page 9). What I'm I missing here. My struts, on the 93 Eldorado sport are identical to this picture. I believe your new struts have the electrical connection near the bottom.

Very nice post.

You need to help me out here. Your picture 10 of 21 refers to this as a passive shock. I thought a passive device wouldn't have any electrical connections. I was under the impression that if the electrical connection was present then the component was considered active. As for the front passive struts (AC delco part # 580-2 for the pair of struts $160 delevered) that was posted a few days back was another nice presentation by MAGDOG showing the replacement of worn out active front struts being replaced with passive struts. The electrical connection was at the top (see page 9). What I'm I missing here. My struts, on the 93 Eldorado sport are identical to this picture. I believe your new struts have the electrical connection near the bottom.

Hi Bob,

They are a passive shock. The electrical cable has resistance built in to fool the computer so that it will not generate any RSS error codes. Without it the PCM would think you had a shock or strut control failure.

I'm not sure but I think the struts also have the wires from near the bottom. (My struts are still in the shipping boxes right now, haven't had time to look them over yet.) I'll check them later today.

If you want to just get the rear shocks or just the front struts they are $299 per pair. I opted to get the package deal and save a few bucks; knowing that I need to replace all four corners anyway.

-George

DTS_Signature.jpg

Very nice post.

You are correct, the electrical connection for the new strut is located near the bottom, like the shock is.

-George

DTS_Signature.jpg

Archived