CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

THERMOSTAT

NINAROSS

HEY EVERYONE, A WHILE BACK SOMEONE POSTED A DIAGRAM OF WHERE THE THERMOSTAT IS LOCATED ON MY CAR AND A BREAKDOWN OF THE AREA TOOK APART, COULD SOME ONE PLEASE POST THAT AGAIN , I HAVE A 1992 CADILLAC SEVILLE, ALWAYS COULD YOU PLEASE TELL ME THE SIGNS THETHE STAT IS BAD AS FAR AS VISUALLY , THANKS A LOT IN ADVANCE ;)

That was ME, all you need to do is click YOUR NAME and click find all posts by this person and all posts you have been involved with will show, here is the link to the post with the stat, Mike

http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=2345&hl=

Well, when my stat went, the temp shot up to 260 and the computer shut down the AC, that is a worst case scenario and I needed to stop as quickly as possible.

However stats can bind, where they kind of twist and hit the frame causing it not to be able to react fast and to stick closed or part way open and cause the temp to be high anywhere in the range. If you look close you can see where the stat is rubbing on the frame, but at that point since you have it out you might as well replace it. I think the stat is a part that is overlooked and should be replaced more often. Buy the best stat you can find or go OEM from the dealer. I do believe that they can lose their calibration. On your car its very easy to do the stat (two bolts if I recall) and inexpensive. One test would be to watch the temp as the car warms up it should peak at about 220 (or so) and then drop suddenly to 180 or so when the stat opens but that test might not uncover a stat that is intermittantly sticking or binding.

What symptoms are you having again?

• 3 weeks later...

my car never really "overheats", at an idle temp will raise maybe up to the late 230's but will droip up and down during the idle.....sometimes after driving for a long period of time radiator fluid would be high in the overflow tank but not to the point of it overflowing and lastly now thats its getting cold in my area the heat gets hot once in a while , most times its ice cold.

my car never really "overheats", at an idle temp will raise maybe up to the late 230's but will droip up and down during the idle.....sometimes after driving for a long period of time radiator fluid would be high in the overflow tank but not to the point of it overflowing and lastly now thats its getting cold in my area the heat gets hot once in a while , most times its ice cold.

1) Change the thermostat

2) Reverse flush the heater core with a garden hose

3) I would flush my cooling system and put new coolant, its not necessary to use a cleaner, just drain the coolant, and re-fill

3) Make sure you use the cooling system supplement tabs, you can get them at the dealer, ask the dealer how many to use, don't skip this step or let anyone tell you its not necessary.

4) After flushing check the coolant concentration, it should be 50/50 mix, if not adjust till 50/50

5) Change the radiator cap

6) Make sure nothing is obstructing the radiator fins, dirt, leaves, etc, and make sure BOTH fans come on at about 220 or so, there is a puller fan and a pusher fan, one of mine was running slowly and the armature was burned in my 91.

7) If you still don't have heat there is a plastic tee connected to the radiator hoses in the center of the engine near the firewall, if you remove it look into it to see if there is an obstructing orfice in it, WATCH how it comes off, you MUST put it back in the same direction. If there is no orfice someone replaced it with the wrong tee connector, buy the correct tee, it goes in a specific direction, if you must replace it come back and I will check the manual, or bbobynski can help here, I think he knows which way it goes. Mike

This should solve your problem

i do not remember your initial post but your temps looks normal to me. why are you going to change the thermostat?

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Here was the original post, a few of us concluded that the thermostat should be replaced:

Just got my fuel pump installed, yaaaay for that, but now I have a overheating problem, at idle car temp runs up, sometimes temp runs up when the car is in motion but it drops back down, after driving for a while and I cut the car off, my coolant overflow tank is boiling over and it sometimes kills my battery from the heat, any suggestions on what can be causing my problem, I havent had any leakage so I'm ruling ot hoses, I just got a water pump installed maybe 3 months ago. thanks for any input!

Here is the link:

http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=2345&hl=

Archived