CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Touchscreen Swap

BMWburner

Greetings all:

At long last, the search is complete. After an extensive period of searching and saving, I've settled on a car that fits my tastes and budget. My new 44,000 mile old 2002 SLS, Black w/ shale leather, will be back from the detail/ body shop in a few days. The pinstripes had to go and while I was at it I had the grey area on the trunk lid painted to match the car and the "SLS" and "32V Northstar" badging removed, looks great. Pictures to come when the weather permits.

There is a referbished Bose GPS system w/ the ant. and DVDs on ebay, cheap, looks like it should go for about 500 bucks. As far as I know the Bose harness is the same on either deck, should be able to zap it with a tech II and swap them out. I made a few calls today and both Cadillac dealers failed to give me a straight "yes" or "no" as to the compatability of system. Swell. I'd be willing to tackle the wiring job if need be I just need to know if the car will accept the new deck if I go to the trouble. I'll see if I can get the service manual in the morning and hope it shed's some light on the subject. This should be a fun spring project. Yay for splicing.

On the outside chance that anyone has any info on the subject it would be worth it's weight in gold to me at this point.

Thanks in advance,

--Ben

This is NOT a direct swap... But its not all that hard either... you need to provide a speed input signal to the "DVD" radio the regular Bose radio did not have this wire... without this feed the Nav system will not work. The following site shows the difference in wires at the connector at the back of the radios...

No "F4" No work

Link to wire spices

This is the start... You want a perfect system with the voice activation too... you need to have the dealer "change" your On-Star settings so that the steering wheel button does the voice thing for the radio and not On-star... Of course most dealers, when you ask them to do this, even after providing them with the attached instructions...

Will say "Huh?"

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

Thanks greg! That was just about everything I needed to know. Have you put a navigation system in your car? If so how do you like it?

Thanks again,

--Ben

No I haven't installed one... Yet.... But I have been investigating this for several months... It will be my next Caddy project... I did drive a '04 STS with a DVD system and the NAV system is kinda cool... It might take some getting used to though... If you swap... keep your old radio... You might want to swap back.

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

Archived