CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

leaky oil cooler

eldo52

Hi group, Inoticed my oil cooler was dripping a while back, and I didn't get too excited because I've often read this is pretty common. Friday after work, I fired it up and took a look, and it was getting pretty bad. It seemed to be coming from the 2 snap in fittings on the bottom, so I went to a napa store and got 2 complete fittigs.I removed the unit, unscrewed the two pipefittings using a backup, and installed the new ones.I fired it up, let it warm up,topped off the oil,and I thought everything was fine,until I wiggled the lines and discovered there were cracks on both sides just above the bosses.Well,I took the fittings back off, and coupled them with a 3/8ths 90,untilI can get a new cooler.Is this common? and does anyone have any idea how much a new cooler might be?

I had a problemwith my oil cooler, I took my to a radiator repair shop and had them to repair the welds where the lines entered the cooler, or you could look at a junk yard, just make sure to really clean a used cooler.

John

John

Thankyou for the input Bob&John...I took my cracked cooler to a friend that repairs radiators, but when we really looked at it, it is made out of aluminum,.generally not repairable.I'm really considering your advice Bob,and would advise anyone else to bypass it, but my eldo seems so (incomplete and less than it should be) without it.

• 1 year later...

Hi there

Are what we saying here (as per eldo52) is that the Northstar engine does not require an oil cooler?

Just curious because I thought one of my oil lines was leaking and today my mechanic says it's the cooler itself which is shot and replacing it along with the two lines wil run me around $700.00 Cdn!

Can I save some money here without hurting the car by bypassing the oil cooler?

Thanks,

Paul

Archived