CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Need some help here!

carl425

Okay, I'm wondering where to start. My '99 STS has developed some more odd problems. I have some play in the steering wheel in the column right behind the air bag. Is there a bearing there that could go bad? If so, how dangerous is it to remove the air bag? I semi-removed the plastic behind it and then removed the two screws that hold the backing onto the wheel. At that point I could see the side of the bag so I stopped. I've heard horror stories of bags going off and causing some pain so I decided to query the gurus...

Also, I have an ongoing problem with stalling I've discussed on here before and I think I've isolated that one with Greg's help (thanks Greg! and watch those crank position sensor's if you have difficult stalling issues) but as a last resort, will a faulty oil pressure sensor cause stalling? I know that years ago the connector came loose and was causing RPMs to pulse at idle.

Third, I have a vibration while braking coming from the rear that I thought was the rotors. I put new cross-drilled Brembos on and I still have it. Are there wheel bearings that go out in the rear or anything else that might cause this?

Lastly, can anyone recommend some aftermarket wheels at least 17", preferrably?

Thanks a bunch!

Lrac

I have an ongoing problem with stalling I've discussed on here before and I think I've isolated that one with Greg's help (thanks Greg! and watch those crank position sensor's if you have difficult stalling issues) but as a last resort, will a faulty oil pressure sensor cause stalling? I know that years ago the connector came loose and was causing RPMs to pulse at idle.

Lastly, can anyone recommend some aftermarket wheels at least 17", preferably?

Thanks a bunch!

Lrac

Thanks for the plug! and without going into a long story...

My dealer "supplied" me with another new "A" crank sensor and my car hasn't stalled in almost 50 days... The "A" sensor and "B" sensor work as a team so even if the car is throwing a "B" sensor code... there is no guarantee that the "A" sensor isn't bad.

Replace them both and double check that your dealer has sold you two of the latest design... They are stamped "MADE IN JAPAN" The POS ones say "MADE IN MEXICO"...

Re oil sender... are you getting a code? I would be really impressed if the ECU was smart enough to shutdown (i.e. stall the engine) if it senses 0 oil pressure... Hmmm... Its a possibility...

Re the wheels... I love my Chrome OE 17's They aren't too hard to find on evilbay...The ones from a DTS are also nice

Ebay 17' DTS wheel

And they are guaranteed to fit without any backspacing issues.

Good Luck!

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

Wouldn't it be easy to check that? Let the engine idle and pull the oil pressure sensor connection.

Ignore the warning, of course, and see what happens. Don't know if it will set a code.

On some older british cars (Rover, Jaguar, RR) they had oil sensors wired with the fuel pump. If you lost pressure, the fuel pump stopped and as soon as the carb bowl was empty, engine stopped. I had a fun experience with a Jaguar 25 years ago when the oil pressure switch connector dropped thus stopping the fuel pump and left me stranded in the middle of the night/nowhere. After some searching with the flashlight I was able to reconnect the socket and move on. Those were the days....

Stefan

Greg,

The North* prior to '00 used a different style CPS and they're not stamped like the style that yours uses. Regardless, it seems that thy are the cause of my angst. We'll see. Any idea about the rear rotors/vibration problems?

Anybody know where I can get a good P/N for a new dash pad? Just curious...

Lrac

Greg,

The North* prior to '00 used a different style CPS and they're not stamped like the style that yours uses. Regardless, it seems that thy are the cause of my angst.

Yes, this is right... They changed the design in 00... With some really really really bad ones being installed in 01... Sorry about that I left that part out when we were emailing back and forth.

When you installed the new rotors how did the caliper look? How bad is the vibration?

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

Greg,

The North* prior to '00 used a different style CPS and they're not stamped like the style that yours uses. Regardless, it seems that thy are the cause of my angst.

Yes, this is right... They changed the design in 00... With some really really really bad ones being installed in 01... Sorry about that I left that part out when we were emailing back and forth.

When you installed the new rotors how did the caliper look? How bad is the vibration?

The calipers looked fine and the fluid was flushed about 6 months ago.

You have any experience working on the steering wheel/column?

Archived