CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Speed limited to 145kph

CANADIANCADDY

I know that code C1722 indicates that the left rear damper actuator is open but just exactly what does this mean? Likewise I am also getting a C1760 code which indicates a left front position sensor input fault and I do not know what would cause this.

Also would only one of these codes be responsible for the speed being limited on my 98 STS?

Many thanks for your input.

Paul

PS Could the fact that I put shocks, struts and what I think were resistors (to fool the computer) from Boston Suspension on my car last spring be now causing the codes shown above?

I know that code C1722 indicates that the left rear damper actuator is open but just exactly what does this mean? Likewise I am also getting a C1760 code which indicates a left front position sensor input fault and I do not know what would cause this.

Also would only one of these codes be responsible for the speed being limited on my 98 STS?

Many thanks for your input.

Paul

PS Could the fact that I put shocks, struts and what I think were resistors (to fool the computer) from Boston Suspension on my car last spring be now causing the codes shown above?

The resistor you installed at the left rear could be causing the C1722 very easily and most likely. Without getting too deep into the fault theory and electrical principles, the ride control module is seeing a voltage level that indicates the circuit is open at some point. And the resistor that is a substitute for the damper valve is the "usual suspect" for that open circuit (something is disconnected).

The C1760 could be as simple as the actuating arm is disconnected from the suspension or the sensor. Or the sensor connector is not seated properly. Or the sensor could be failed.

We are discussing your '98 model, correct?

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Paul:

I'll try to answer both of your email questions here so the discussion will be searchable and available to others. This info applies to '98 to '04 Sevilles (CVRSS).

Your C1760 is the DTC that set the SPEED LIMITED TO XX MPH/KPH. When the OBD thinks a position sensor is faulty, the ride control module is switched to a 'speed dependent' (safe) mode because the wheel vertical movement signal is suspect.

Either C1760 or C1722 will set the SERVICE RIDE CONTROL message. Likewise appropriate DTCs related to the other three wheels.

From here it appears you have a wiring or mechanical linkage or sensor problem at the LF position sensor AND an open condition somewhere in the circuit that used to connect to the LR shock.

And I have no clue why the other person mentioned a possible faulty actuator since you no longer have an actuator.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Archived