CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Fog in rear lights??

pushinthelac

Yup, sure is!

From what I understand, they are mounted to stiffly, and thus crack when flexing with the car, and breaking the air-tightness.

An easy and effective fix to the problem (for the trunk mounted lenses) is to first open the trunk, then using a small drill bit, drill 2 or three holes in the bottom to allow the light to "breathe", and thus not collect moisture. The holes are so small and out of the way, you'll never know their there. Many Seville owners have done it, and it works!

Hope this gives you some insight!

Scott

" ...'took my Cobra down t' the track, hitched to the back o' my Cadillac..."

- Jan & Dean, 'hey little cobra'

Scott

This was from a post of mine back on 2/18 on the same subject:

Due to micro fractures in the aging plastic, water getting into the lens chamber and condensing is a fairly common occurrence to these taillights. One sure way to stop this from repeating is to take a 1/8" drill and open four holes evenly spaced underneath, and along the bottom edge of the lenses. Make sure you drill only through the first layer of the lens plastic into the chamber, but NOT into the second lens. This will open up the chamber to air and allow it to drain and dry. I've had to do this to two of my STS's and it has worked great over the long run.

'93 STS.. opened, dropped, wide...fast.

user posted image

I have the same situtation on a '99 STS.. :o

Do I Drill weep holes in inner light housing or in the clear outer shell? :unsure:

Sounds like you are saying to do from the inside on a '95 SLS.

thanks

"Make sure you drill only through the first layer of the lens plastic into the chamber, but NOT into the second lens."

I posted that one post above yours. To make it any more clear yes, drill into the outer shell ONLY.

'93 STS.. opened, dropped, wide...fast.

user posted image

Archived