CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

How to increase MPG

Willie Hank

But cats were never put on for economly. They were put on to reduce emissions of a certain size. Some folks suggested that what they in fact did was to reduce the size of the emissions to the point that lungs could not expell the particles. Leading to an increase in lung problems. I'm probably about to get a HUGE education in what the truth of that is.

I don't know about education but here is the cats purpose

Catalytic converters major purpose is to minimize the release or to convert harmful gasses into cleaner air before they join the air. They are located under vehicle in the middle of the exhaust system. Modern vehicles are equipped with three-way catalytic converters. The term “three-way” refers to the three regulated emissions that help to reduce carbon monoxide, VOCs and Nitrogen Oxide molecules. The reduction catalyst and the oxidation catalyst are the types of catalyst used by the converter. Both consist of a ceramic structure coated with a metal catalyst, usually platinum, rhodium and/or palladium. There are two types of structures used in catalytic converter: the honeycomb and ceramic beds. However, the Honeycomb structure is used in most vehicles

Every Cadillac vehicle that goes off the assembly line is equipped with a high quality Cadillac catalytic converter that can efficiently convert your vehicle's harmful exhaust into harmless substance. However, Cadillac catalytic converters are not immune to damages. If your Cadillac's "cats" gets damaged or clogged for any reason, it is important that you replace it with a new one or have it repaired or restored. A defective catalytic converter can lower your vehicle's gas mileage, make it an environment hazard, and makes it illegal in various American states.

Get the weight down!

IF fuel economy is the only consideration:

There is half-decent argument for not pulling a full tank of gasoline around town.

Remove as much carpet and sound-proofing as you can live with.

Empty out the trunk and glove box. Leave the spare tire and jack at home.

I'm betting most cars could easily lose 5% of their weight.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

I was thinking of taking the jack/tire out of my car. Who am I kidding with three torn disks, I'm not going to be fixing a spare by the side of the road, I have free towing, I'll get it fixed.

I think I've only had one flat on the road in my entire life.

Yesterday I put air in the tires and went from 30 to34psi I aso increased the air pressure in my truck tires. Will change the air cleaner today although its not due. There is one more thing, engine oil, I know that most people have a favorite oil for one reason or another I have tried 3 types of oil all 10w/30 and the last oil i have tried, 3 oil changes with it! has seemed to improve my gas mileage. Trying not to start a controversy here how many people can pin good gas milage on a brand or type of oil. I have a gf3 oil in my cadillac I have not put any of the new gf4 oils in yet. also has anyone noticed a corralation between dirty oil and gas milage? mike

Archived