CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Cloth Top Tip

Scotty

I have found the most amazing protectant for my cloth top. My detail shop told me about it and I bought it six months ago and threw it on the shelf. I HAD noticed that my cloth top was soaking up water and becoming drenched. I had known that if the cloth gets wet it ROTS the underlayment and it spirals downward from there. So I tried it last week! :o

Its raining out now and top is actually dry, water just sheets off of the top, water BEADS up aggressively and you can actually BLOW it off (my daughter likes that as its fun to watch the water scatter). The top STOPPED soaking up water! Try it, its $20 a can, make sure you shake it vigoursly for a long time.

Clean the top with a soft brush in a random circular motion, using a good quality mild car wash, I used Maguires. Let it dry thoroughly in the sun. (IMPORTANT if not you will seal in dampness underneath) and follow the directions on the can.

I just bought another can and will put a second coat on ASAP!

Well, here is the solution to preserving your cloth tops, plus it brightens its color slightly if it looks sun dried to you. It looks healthy again. I would recommend buying 2 cans, if you hate it, I'll buy it from you and pay shipping!

Wolfsteins, RAGGTOPP Fabric Protectant Pro-Series 1-800-377-4700, http://www.wolfsteins.com

I rarely make a recommendation like this, but you will be amazed!

(this sounds like a commercial, and NO I don't own stock in this company :lol: )

How is it for dust sticking to it? I got a tip off of here about a year ago about using Vasoline for a protectant on a vinyl roof. It was like $3...maybe and WOW, it shines like crazy on my black roof on my '67. And when it rains, water BEADS like crazy off of it. But the drawback is you have to wash it about once a week, it collects dust but it washes right off. I usually wash it everytime it rains anyhow :D .

I am unsure about it soaking up water but the way that it beads off I can not see any escaping underneath :huh: .

Spence

Yes I think that would work to repel water but as you are experiencing its not drying and attracting dirt.

This product drys totally and leaves the cloth feeling dry and slightly slick. They have a treatment for vinyl also, check their web page. The one I am using is for cloth. Pretty amazing stuff.

RaggTopp is awsome...ive used it for about a year...and the top is beautiful...I use their cleaner too once in a while...its organic and really desolves oils/dirt that normal soap wont

Vasaline on a vinyl top....isnt that patrolleum...wouldnt that degrade it like sylicone?

• 1 month later...

Be careful with the Vaseline. I used it on a top several years ago. Although it took more than a year to develop, as the vaseline found the small age cracks in the tops embossed pattern and stitching, it seeped under and created dark stains. It was a light colored top so the stains were very noticeable. I eventually had the top replaced. I was at the shop when they peeled the top off and under the stains were greasy/oily patches. The tech at this particular shop said that vaseline is a "no-no". He said that vaseline would eventually react with the vinyl and cause it to get brittle. So I haven't use vaseline on a vinyl top since.

Archived