CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

ALTERNATOR/GENERATOR 93 STS?????

jamesg

NO CURRENT CODES, ALL HISTORY Codes IO52 KEEP ALIVE MEMORY ERROR, PO16 VOLTAGE OUT OF RANGE, PO109 KEEP ALIVE MEMORY BATTERY LOST POWER, PO110 GENERATOR L-TERM CURCUIT PROBLEM. READ OUT ALSO STATES NO BATTERY CHARGE AND TRACTION DISABLED. BAD DIE HARD BATTERY OR ALTERNATOR????

I went to a Funeral today, after the Eugolgy at the church, the AC running on HI, and at the request of the Police and Funeral Director, the emergency lights blinking and head lights on. SUNNY Raniny, hot muggy southern weather. Car running fine until we reach the cemetery in the sunny rainy conditions. Traction Disable light comes on, the car shuts off and would not start, the factory mobile phone beeping low battery. That has never happen before. I got out of the car went to the grave side services. Car started back up after the grave side honors. I then drove from the cemetery, OK I said fine maybe the deceased was reminding me of a incident that I announced a promotion for him getting his hopes up and it turned out I errored, the promotion was for someone else in the organization with the exact same first name, last name and the same job title. As his supervisor I had to go back and apologize. A good man he was, he for gave me, for one in a million someone in the same organization, same last, first name and same job promotion, however the kicker different cities. Anyways when the grave side services were over, the car started right up. Relieved me of the ideal of being stuck in the cemetery at dark. I drove about 5 miles in the wrong direction in another city and the car shut down again in the 5:00 pm after work traffic. Of course I pushed that big 03 STS a few feet by myself off the roadway until I got help. I got a jump start and the car started up. When I put it in gear and it cut off again. Time for a tow truck. I got the car to my house and tried to charge the 3 year old die hard battey. Car started right up, ran for over 5 minutes and cut off. Read out on panel, Battery NO CHARGE. Before I go buy an alternator, any other suggestions? Could it be the battery???? PLZ ADV ASAP!!! All that power running at once and the hot sunny rainy muggy weather must have shorted something out!!!! I know the alternator is recharging the battery.

v/r

JG

There are several no-cost checks you can do yourself. I would start by disconnecting the battery negative terminal and inspecting both ends of the cable plus the battery terminal for corrosion. Leave the cable disconnected from the battery.

Then the same deal with the battery positive terminal. Inspect the cable carefully for corrosion under the insulation for as far as you can reach-feel-see. Green colored growth on the exposed wire ends is not good.

Crawl underneath and do the same inspection deal on the alternator terminal ends and be sure they are clean and connected securely.

If the case of the battery is moist, inspect carefully for a leaking cell.

Clean it up, and bolt the cable terminals back on the battery (positive cable first). Clear all your codes and start fresh.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

If the car cuts off then starts back up again without a hotstart or charging the battery, look at the cable connections. My car shut off one night after helping a friend install a battery in his 525. I checked my connections and saw that the positive terminal connection was not tight. As someone said before, look for corrosion also. Monitor your battery volts readout. When you start, volts should go all the way to 14+. Then settle down to about 13.5. This would verify your alternator is charging.

Well I removed the Die Hard Gold Battery and took it back to Sears. tHE BATTERY SHOULD NOT BE THAT DEAD AFTER 2 YEARS AND A FEW MONTHS. They tested it and determined it was SIC and gave me a new replacement. NO BATTERY CHARGE read out went away and car started up. I went into the diagnoStic mode to clear codes, there were non to clear. All history code for lost of memory or generator problem. Could the STS be different then most vehicles when disconnecting the battery with the engine running to test different parts? If the ALTERNATOR is bad how long will it take to drain the new BATTERY and shut down again? As of now it is runnung fine. I cannot explain why the old Battery would not re-charge, other than a bad alternator. The old battery could not have drain that much power in the heat yesterday.

v/r

JG

93 STS

I was driving my 97 STS today in the pouring rain, and the same thing (or close to it) happened to me. First the "Stability" light came on in the info center, then I noticed the ABS light and the Traction Control lights were on. I noticed it wasn't shifting correctly and figured the computer was acting up from a bad alternator (lack of juice). Turned off the A/C, lights, wipers, and radio so I could make it the 10 miles back to my house. Turned it off in the driveway and tried to restart it and got the ole dead battery "clicking" sound. "Inspect - charging system" came up on the info readout 1/2 way home... so it looks like I'll be changing the alternator soon!

Archived