CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Stalling

an01sts

My car is stalling. About a week ago, I noticed that the car seemed just a tad sluggish. I installed a new air filter, but when I pulled the old one, it seemed obvious that it wouldn't make a difference.

When the car is first started, it has a mis/runs rough, and slight tap of the accelerator pedal smooths it out. (It also stays on high idle longer than usual.) If I'm poking along whithout the tranny shifting up, it runs smooth. The problem happens when the cars gets up to speed and into the higher gears. When you let off the gas, when the tach droppes to around 2k, the tach drops instantly to zero. Then it flutters around between zero and 1.1k to 1.3k, always ending up stalling. The car also bucks as it drops into first gear. When slowing down, if I give it just a tad of gas, it doesn't stall.

Pull codes! I know! How do you pull codes on an 01 STS?

It almost sounds like you have a bad crank sensor I had the problem of stalling and that took care of it. On the 01 i have while idleing it would just stall never happened again after the sensor change and it did not throw any codes

Jim

Pull codes! I know!  How do you pull codes on an 01 STS?

This file provides more than you ever wanted to know about retrieving the codes for your model. An occasional misfire might or might not set a DTC.

Sounds like crankshaft position sensor(s) to me.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Thanks folks. I had the crank sensor(s) replaced around 30 to 40k. It also has the service engine soon light on, which came on shortly after the problem started.

If it showed up as a code, it's a safe bet to say that it would be PCM?

Archived