CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Quiet, clicking noise on 94 STS

Flat60

Hi,

I was on a longer trip yesterday with my 94 Seville STS and after a while I noticed a quiet, but hearable clicking noise that seems to come from the lower left side of the dashboard (left of the steering column). It sounds like the clicking of a small relay and I could not find a pattern. Sometimes it clicks once in a minute, then two times in 20 seconds. It reminds me a bit of the bi-metal switch that controls our bathroom heater.

It might stop driving me nuts as soon as I know what causes this sound... ;)

Kind regards,

Marcus

Turn off the turn signal Marcus! :lol: Just kidding!

Does any component stop working when this happens? For instance, if there is a short in the headlight circuit, the circuit breaker will flash the lights off and on.. Your description and diagnosis that it may be a bi-metalic circuit breaker is a good one. Check your fuse centers (glove box and under the hood and see if any breakers are getting hot or clicking) If I am not mistaken, the light switch has a breaker attached to it also. Check closely what is going off when you hear the click this is most probably a short circuit... Mike

Hi Scotty,

I do not use the turn signal anyway because it is broken - it goes on and off all the time :rolleyes:

In fact, the sound is somewhat similar to the signal clicking, just a bit more quiet. One tip I got so far is that it might be the heated seat (that I had actually used yesterday), but that kind of clicking seems to come a bit more from the seat itself.

One other thing - related to the lights - is that my headlights & interior lights sometimes flicker a bit, i. e. the lights become a bit darker and brighter in very short intervals. I understand that this might be the same issue? Does anyone know where the light controle module is located (yes, I do need these shop manuals soon)?

Marcus

Archived