CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Harsh rubbing noise from accessory area

Arash

Dear all members

I've been hearing a harsh loud rubbing noise from my car’s accessory area in the last two days. I also smell some rubber burning smell too. I increased/decreased the pressure by moving the belt tensioner backward/forward to see if that cures the problem but it didn't. When I turn the steering wheel all the way to the right and left the noise tends to increase a little. I replaced the belt, Idler pulley, and the belt tensioner all last year.

All suggestions would be appreciated.

This may be the beginning of your AC hub bearing going out... To diagnose this, you could purchase a short serp belt and by-pass your compressor before it fails altogether.

Don't assume that the noise is coming from your power steering pump. Before my AC Compressor hub went it sounded like the power steering pump was bad and whinning, when it was the AC hub all along. Its amazing how loud the compressor hub bearing and related noise and vibration is when its bad. If you want to quickly diagnose your noise buy a shorter belt (6K739 or a tad longer) and eliminate the AC Compressor from the serpentine belt circuit. You will be amazed I am sure how much noise your compressor is making. Mine when from embarrisingly loud and nasty to SILENT! AND it sounded like the power steering pump and or alternator was bad.... It is very difficult to localize the noise, although I did not try bbobynski's 3/4" hose method, which I should have, I just did not have any hose laying around. Mike

post-3-1117676472_thumb.jpg

Scotty

Thanks very much for the excellent advice. This weekend I will put the car up on jack stand, open the right front wheel, and open the covers to check the AC compressor hub by hand. I think I detected some loosness in the hub when looking from above today, using a flashlight. Did your car also have the rubber burning smell with the severe whinning noise? you can easilly smell that on mine when the car is idling.

I guess in New York you don't need the air condition much do you? In Vancouver you rearely need it but I'm ok without it.

Yes there was a rubber or plastic burning smell.... If you can hurry you can just replace the hub assembly if it is bad and not the entire compressor like I have to do.. The longer you wait the worse the seal will get from the heat, so don't wait.

I don't recall whining, I recall an egg beater sound, you could be whining however.

Yes in NY it gets hot and we need AC starting about now..

Scotty

Is the AC compressor clutch the same thing as AC hub bearing assembly? When I search the rockauto.com and gmparts direct they have the AC compressor clutch and the AC compressor clutch bearing. I guess I have to purchase the AC compressor clutch don't I? Can it be done without taking the compressor off the vehicle? Is there a special tool required for this?

Also the Rockauto .com has two AC Delco compressor clutches which seem identical but one sells for $45 and the other sells for $60; I really don't know the difference. Would you please give me the part number of the part you're talking about.

Thanks

Scotty

Is the AC compressor clutch the same thing as AC hub bearing assembly? When I search the rockauto.com and gmparts direct they have the AC compressor clutch and the AC compressor clutch bearing. I guess I have to purchase the AC compressor clutch don't I? Can it be done without taking the compressor off the vehicle? Is there a special tool required for this?

Also the Rockauto .com has two AC Delco compressor clutches which seem identical but one sells for $45 and the other sells for $60; I really don't know the difference. Would you please give me the part number of the part you're talking about.

Thanks

No, there is the hub assembly and there is the electro mechanical clutch assembly. If you catch it fast enough you can get away with just doing the hub assembly. You will need a hub removal/installation tool that is rather expensive, if you want you can use mine.. (used only once).... You probably don't need the clutch if it is engaging and may be able to adjust the air gap, ask Kevin about that...

I got a hub assembly for my 91 at NAPA, you might want to check them or call Brasington http://www.gmotors.com

Here is the gates number, I had this in the garage so when I take off the short belt I can identify it later (not that I plan on my compressor going to soon :blink: ). :lol:

If at all possible go to the NEXT available size this was a bit tight to get on...

post-3-1117848012_thumb.jpg

Today I talked to Lordco parts store here in North Vancouver and the lady on the counter ordered me the closest match to an AC Delco 6k739. I will get the belt tommorow and try it to see if it works or not.

Today I installed the belt (73.4 inches) with my brother; It was a little bit though as I had to pull the belt tensioner all the way back and there was not much space to work with. The car feels much more smooth and the harsh noise is totally gone. You were right on target on this one scotty.

I also feel noticeable improvement in low speed acceleration.

Today I installed the belt (73.4 inches) with my brother; It was a little bit though as I had to pull the belt tensioner all the way back and there was not much space to work with. The car feels much more smooth and the harsh noise is totally gone. You were right on target on this one scotty.

I also feel noticeable improvement in low speed acceleration.

Cool, I love being right once in a while :lol: Isn't it amazing how noisy your AC Compressor was?

Yes I know its tight, that is why I suggested the next size larger.. It works however when you get it on... Was the hub loose?

Hey Scotty; there's no way a 6K739 is too tight if Arash was able to install a 73.4 inch belt! A half inch is plenty when it comes to belts. :)

Oh I didnt pick up on that, I see what you mean, but I have to tell you the 73.9 was really really tight also others have also said it was tight, I am SHOCKED that he was able to get a smaller belt on... I can't believe that, arash what part number was the belt?

A few days ago, I installed a new belt on a 4.9 and thought it was too tight. It turns out the belt was not seated completely on one of the pulleys. The only other thing that comes to mind is that it might be difficult to unload fully the tensioner without a suitable tool (in the case of the Northstar). When I had the need to bypass the compressor, I made some measurements, took a chance on a 6K739, and didn't have any trouble installing it - hence my recommendation.

Itb was absolutely tight. We almost gave up on that. The belt's brand is Dayco and the part number is 5060735. I beleive It was made in USA and I paind $46.70 CAD for that.

Archived