CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Brake Job Info

ed blaq

Got a couple of new front tires the other day, the manager mentioned that I'm in need of a front brake job. He mearly mentioned it and did not try to give me a hard sell. The car seems to be stopping safely, no grinding no squeeling. Should I get a second opnion?

Second, if I do need one, can an amature mechanic (me) perform the task?

Any 411 would be appreciated!

Assuming that you have basic tools, ie ratchet set, breaker-bar, coat hanger or something similar to hang the caliper (never let it hang on its hose), sometimes you need a 3/8 allen socket (on my 96), a large c-clamp to return the piston (do this slowly so that the rubber piston protector returns nicely), and a torque wrench to torque the wheel and bolts back on, you should be ok... You do not need to totally remove the caliper or disconnect the hose. You need to clean the sliders and rubber bushings really good. Again, I don't know your year specifically, but if you buy the AC Delco pads they usually come with high-temp silicone grease to grease the sliders and rubber bushings after you clean them good. If the pads don't come with high-temp silicone grease buy a good quality made specifically for calipers...! You could buy a caliper bushing kit, which is what I did, and replace them (dealer has them), if you are doing the job yourself why not.. The following picture is for a 96, but it will give you a rough idea of what it looks like. Do you have the manual? To do the job right you should bleed the brakes if for nothing else to purge out the old fluid till it runs clear, but that now makes the job a little more complicated especially with ABS. But you can get away with not bleeding them, or having someone bleed them for you.

Then comes the controversial part, I ALWAYS have the rotors 'cleaned-up'. I tell the machine shop CLEAN UP only remove as LITTLE material as possible. That gets rid of and imperfections, brake material transfers, and thickness variations in the rotor. MOST importantly, it gives the pads a nice surface to bed into...

Now others here will tell you I am WRONG about resurfacing them (because the manual says its not necessary), but I think its a good practice...

Always use a safety jack and chock the rear wheels, Mr Safety

post-3-1116887893_thumb.jpg

Archived