CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Low speed rubbing noise, Finally resolved

OynxSTS

You all may recall that may '02 had a slow speed rubbing noise that was barely auditable going straight, but got louder if you turned left... Only auditable less than 20MPH... Link is here Rubbing post link

My dealer, under warrantee, replace all four hubs on the car, to get out the front hubs they removed them with the driveshafts and then banged out the shafts with a BFH... Not something that your average customer would want to know... This solved the noise for about 2 months... And then, like a bad cold sore, it came back... So we have eliminated the tires, the brakes and the hubs... So I think... Could the solution be related in the fact the dealer re&re'd the drive shafts...

So, after a good cleaning, I used my trusty can of sprayable lithium white grease... I gave the drive shafts a really generous shot where they fit into the tranny. TA DA noise is gone!! B)

So my question, in the Helm manual, it calls to lubricate this area with ATF... will my white grease do damage? :ph34r: Should I clean it out and use something else? if the dealer did use ATF it only seems to last for 60 days...

Suggestions?

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

OynxSTS

Sounds like one or both of the seals may be dry for some reason. An interesting issue.

Are both seals making the noise? The driver side seal has a metal cage cover over the actual rubber seal flange. It is possible for dirt to work its way past this cage and it may be the cause of the noise.

The passenger side does not have this cage - if I recall correctly - and should not make the noise if the seal is receiving fluid exposure from the inside.

Thanks Jhall..

OK now I'm tense...

If the Tranny dipstick wasn't so hard to get to I could confirm that the tranny is "full". The further fact that one of the tranny pan bolts is AWOL will generate a couple of sleepless nights untill I pull the air box and see what is going on with the tranny fluid...

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

Archived