CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Inner CV Joint Boot

Scotty

I was looking at my axles over the weekend and noticed that I had a grease line from where the inner CV joint would 'throw' grease as it rotates and I had grease deposits on the inner edge of my boot near the large clamp. The odd thing is that it was what appeared to be a white grease (looked like lithium grease), and I doubt that the inner boot is packed with white grease and if it was its not white now.... I wiped it clean and will keep an eye on it.

My question is, I didn't see any cracks or breaks on the inner boot, can the boot leak past the large clamp?

It is possible for some grease to get through - on some higher milage vehicles at least. My 530i had just about 160k miles on the odometer when I noticed the same thing. The grease was ever so slightly seeping through past the clamp on the inner cv boot. The grease was not white, however.

Hi Scotty,

If it's thin line of grease - say no wider than half the width of a pencil- and it accumulates over a long period, you may have a small crack in the boot somewhere. This is not a killer, but keep an eye on it. If the boot does fail, it will usually throw off globs of grease.

Move the boot carefully and look closely at the boot ridges and valleys for small cracks.

The "white grease" is a curiosity. Do you think the leak is actually from something above the boot and the boot is just tossing it off? :blink:

Archived