CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

1998 SLS and 2002 SLS Differences.

IaBoy

Obviously I meant the difference between a 1998 SLS and a 2002 SLS. I couldn't figure out how to correct the mistake I made in my title! [Fixed-bruce]

Well... I hit a deer last week and totalled my 1998 SLS. I spent the week looking at replacement Sevilles and bought one Saturday. It is 250 miles from home so I havent picked it up yet. It is a Crimson 02 SLS with 46K on it. Has everything but the Bose. Power Moonroof and the works. I was a little disapointed about the sacrificing the Bose, but have found myself listening to talk radio on my XM Radio most of the time while driving anyway.

My question is: What differences can I expct from the 98 SLS to my new 02 SLS?

I have a complete set of service manuals for my 1998. Are most things the same, or should I get the manuals for the 2002?

Steve

post-3-1113246392_thumb.jpg

I do not know much about the differences in sevilles, but what were you quoted in repair costs?

Its hard to tell from the picture, but it appears that your SLS needs a new hood, grill, fender and headlight. Was the radiator damaged?

I ask because you may be able to purchase your car back from the insurance agency cheap and get it fixed using salvage yard parts. My 94 new yorker was hit from by a squad car years ago and tore off the rear bumper and damaged the fender. I was able to buy it back from the insurance agency for $700 of the $3000 I got out of the coverage - without a salvage title. If I was smart, I would have used a portion of the leftover money to fix it, instead I sold it to a yard for $900.

edit... I see the airbags went off too, I guess that makes it a more expensive repair. You may still be able to buy the car back for less than the price of the parts value of the car.

The hit that "killed" my Allante looked a lot like this too... However, according to my insurance company, it doesn't take much to "tweak" the engine cradle... and a tweaked engine cradle means the car is off to that big salvage yard in the sky...

As for the differences, there are a lot more options available on the '02 SLS, like tire pressure sensors, etc. But since the SLS was offered as a “pick your option” kind of car there is a good chance that your ’02 will be very similar to your ’98.. New “cool” and worth considering options include Back up assist, HID head lights, DVD Navigation, and tire pressure sensors… Those are the main ones.

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

Maydog...

I got three repair estimates and all were over $9,500. My insurance company will take $1,400 for the car. Yes, the airbag stuff was very expensive. Both airbags went off. Blew the whole top of the dash off almost. Oh, yes, the radiator is gone, and some stuff in farther too. I only considered fixing it for a minute. I think I got a great deal on a 2002. I wanted to try a red one.. as I have had two white SLS's go down in the past 3 months.. lol.

I would have liked to take the Bose out of the 98 as the 2002 doesn't have it. But after posting on this site, I found out it is not as easy as just poping on out and the other one in.

Too bad on my white car. it WAS a great car for me. The engine runs so well!

Steve

Not to sure about Bose vs. Non Bose Radios... In the past Bose Radios used separately applified speakers and Non Bose systems didn'y. Swapping Bose and Non Bose stereos was alway a bad idea....either it didn't work...BAD or it would blow up speakers...VERY BAD

Of course GM might have changed this but I wouldn't bet on it.

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

darn, I just paid $1500 for a used motor. I could have bought your car, swapped the motor and sold all the other goodies (trans, accesories, rims) and came out ahead on the deal.

I am sure there are some entreprenurial (sp?) folks on the board who would snatch it up at this price.

How many miles on that bad boy?

Maydog...

Yep, someone could come out like a bandit on it. The motor is a strong runner and uses/leaks about a quart of oil every 3,000 miles. Transmission is perfect. Bose Radio is Awesome.. Rims are sweet and Michelin tires have about 25K on them. Seats are perfect, Windshield broken all other glass perfect. If I had a place to store it, I would buy it, and part it out. However, I am not very knowledgable about "mechanic stuff" either. 98,000 highway miles on it. I was the second owner.

Oh well...

Steve

$1,400!! man that is a STEAL....I got my tranny rebuilt for $1800...that included labor but $1,400!!! For engine, tranny,seats,speakers....geez the list goes on and on. Goes to show how much salvage yards get there cars for...I'd buy it and let it sit in the front yard untill someone on here buys it from you...im sure you've already got people PM-ing you for you insurance company's # lol.

A.J.

If you could buy the car back for $1400, that's seems like a pretty good deal. You could part it out, and make that money back pretty quick. How many miles were on the engine? If it was in good shape without too many miles on it, it's probably worth at least the $1400, especially with the tranny. I would see what you might be able to save from the car. It may never be driveable again, but at least you might be able to make a few bucks off of what's left. Good Lcuk with th new car. I always loved the Cromson Pearl color, especially on the Sevilles.

I am talking to my insurance man to settle tomorrow. I may just keep the car for that price and part it out. I really like that style of wheels too, and the tires are good. I need to find a place to put it. ALso I am not really much of a mechanic either. Removing an engine or transmission and stuff like that would be beyond my area of expertiese. The car had 98,000 miles on it, and everything was in perfect shape. The only thing that was wrong with it before the deer crash was a lose drivers side mirror.. :). So, I may part it out and have the salvage yard come pick it up when I am done.

Steve in Iowa

Archived