CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Aftermarket Radios

Scotty

I know this subject has been beat to death, but I have not fully understood my options. I have a 1996 Deville with a non-bose cassette am/fm head unit (NO CD).

The option was an am/fm cassette with a trunk mounted CD player. I bought that head unit on ebay. If you recall, I took it apart for one of out members and took photos of the interior. I have not looked in the trunk yet to see if there is wiring for the CD unit. I am reasonably sure that the wiring harness is there however, as I have been recently told that Cadillac bought one wiring harness with all connectors and the factory just installed a customers requested option as needed. Such as heated seats, compass mirror, and CD player, but I may be wrong. I will be very happy if there is a CD connector in the trunk.

Does anyone know if there is an aftermarket CD changer that will work with the GM/Caddy/Delphi system.... Now that would be cool.

But then I ask myself whether on not is makes sense to replace the entire head with one that is designed to fit my interior such as this one, scroll down to the Pioneer DEH-P47DH:

http://modelelectronicsinc.com/pioneer.htm

It that Pioneer allows me to retain the steering wheel controls and has cell phone muting I would consider it. Doing that may be the best option as my AM band gets interference and my FM band has weak reception and power is limited as the amp clips at loud volumes.

Now that I am almost done replacing the OEM speaker with Cerwin Vegas (the front is done), the system is sounding pretty incredible even the the OEM head unit's shortcomings... Any thoughts, ideas?

My 94 non-Bose did not have the CD connector in the trunk. I wanted to retain the factory headunit for cosmetic purposes so I installed a FM-modulated Pioneer changer in the trunk, just below the rear deck parcel shelf. I liked that location because I don't have to bend down to change cartridges, there is the trunk light that helps to illuminate the unit, and it never gets in the way (or bumped into) when I carry stuff in the trunk.

I know a lot of people disdain the FM route, BUT the sound is great! Much better than the best FM station I can ever get from the factory deck. No hiss, no noise, just great sound. I'm very happy. I routed the CD controller through an opening at the top edge of the rear seatback, along the passenger side sills, under the passenger seat (used a clothes hanger to fish the cable under the carpet), and then finally up the center console through a drilled hole into the console compartment. It's a very clean and neat installation.

Oh yeah, I also wired in a rocker switch (also into the center console compartment) to disable the power antenna, so I don't have to "overuse" the antenna when I'm just listening to CDs.

gc caddy, I appreciate your feedback on the quality of the FM modulation technique. That sounds like a good alternative, thanks. Does yours play MP3's? Thanks

There are available CD changers with MP3 capability. Most new ones from SONY and JVC have MP3 readibility.

I purchased my Pioneer changer at a great price ($149 Canadian). It was a 6 disc version, very very small (in fact, it would have fit into the 94 STS' glove box - but I wanted to retain the glove box's utility). Every thing was included, FM modulator, CD changer, cartridge, and mounting equipment. Since it was an older model so it didn't have MP3.

As I said, the sound is great. I know that in theory, a direct connection will sound better... but the FM route really does sound great. When you consider that you can retain the clean factory look, it's a viable option.

I have the Boes System in my Seville. The CD player does not work and other things had to be done first. We all know what!! I have a very nice Hi Power Kenwood, removeable face and remote CD changer. But when I called Crutchfield for wire harnesses to install it they shut me down cold. They told me forget about it, they system in the car will not let you. The fellow said, anyway, the Boes is to nice just get the unit fixed. I may take it out myself, I know the disk is not spinning. If it's a belt I may be able to fix it. If it's a direct drive motor I guess I can not do it myself.

Archived