CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Wanting to paint my silver grille to match car

I am wanting to paint the grille on my Eldorado to match the colour of the car like the Eldo Touring Coupe but my experience with painting stuff has been the craps. Everytime I paint something, as soon as it gets hit with a pressure washer, whoops there goes the paint with the water. What can I do to prep the grille better so that the paint sticks to the grille like it should? As always, thanks in advance.

Spence

post-3-1112243804_thumb.jpg

mAYBE powdercoat IT???? I don't know if u can match the color but probably so. It's what they do wheels with. We did the whole engine compartment in my old school. Try it!!!!! Look it up in your phonebook...

Hey guys, thanks for the quick responses. Do you think the powder coat will stick to plastic? I'm going to be calling Dutch Industries (my local powder coater) tommorow about it . And do you have a brand of epoxy primer or does any brand work good?

Spence

Take out the grill, wash it thouroghly with soap and water, sand it with 400 grit or equivilent Scotch pad. Spray 3 light coats of Dupli Color or similar acrylic primer (spray can), it's nice to use non sanding primer, but if not, when it's dry just lightly sand again. Get Dupli Color spray base color and base clear. Spray the color until full coverage is attained. Follow in 1/2 hour(or whatever the can says), with 3-4 light coats of clear. Let it dry for 2-3 hours and don't wash it for 1-2 days. It will stay on 'till the cows come home. ;)

I may be mistaken but you would not be able to powder coat plastics. I believe that the powder is adhered to the object via a negative charge. (like static cling) that would not be possible to achieve with a plastic part. And if it was I doubt that the part would survive the baking process that bonds the powder to the metal!

I've learned the hard way that surface prep is everything in painting. Taking your time and being thorough will pay off big.

Remove and clean the grille with warm water and a de-greasing soap like dish soap or a shop degreaser. Scuff /sand it with 400 to 600 grit wet/dry paper or a scuff pad (looks something like a brillo but not). After sanding thoroughly wipe down with a surface prep agent, (a fast evaporating zero residue solvent) should be available in the paint and body section of an auto parts store.

Prime with a primer listed to bond to plastics and let dry several hours before applying paint. although primer may seem dry almost immediately there is still moisture evaporating. It must be completely dry to ensure that the paint lays evenly and has uniform texture.

When painting, be patient, it's better to have several smooth light coats to completely cover than two really globby runny ones. Sweep the can across the surface in smooth even strokes holding it about 12 inches away. If you've ever watched some one laying paint on a car you know what I mean. Make sure the can is already spraying when you move it across and doesn't stop until it's off the other side. Probably need 4-5 coats (with about 15 mins in between) of spray can paint to ensure durability and even color. Don't forget to spray from different angles to get paint in all the areas of the grille. Give it about an hour to dry (after last coat) and repeat with clear coat.

Also very important last step. Give it a lot of final drying time. Spray can paint does not have an emulsifier or hardening catalyst like other automotive paints so you will need to give it time to cure about 24 hours should be adequate at room temp.

It sounds like a lot but the end result will be definitely worth the while. Post some pictures when you get it done.

Good Luck

Hey thanks for the posts, what fantastic information. I'm going to tackle the job as soon as it's warm enough outside to screw around with stuff like this but I really can not wait to get it started. Thanks again, I'll let you all know how it turns out. :D

Spence

What can I do to prep the grille better so that the paint sticks to the grille like it should? As always, thanks in advance.

Spence

do you have access to a glass bead cabinet ? I've even done this to prep Chrome :( for a friend to paint w/ great success

Archived