CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

4.9 Burning oil

Hey guys, My car just recently started burning oil that's actaully visible out the exhaust pipes when I do a WOT. I've burned oil for quite some time now but it's never actually been visible from the exhaust. I often accelerate hard and do plenty of WOT's so it's definatley not carbon build up. I was wondering what you guys reccomend I should do. I currently use 10w30 oil with a synthetic blend. Should I maybe put a bottle of cd2 power back in the oil and see if it helps? I have a friend who use to burn oil as well and he apperently added cd2 and it stopped burning oil what so ever. What do guys think I should do?

Thanks to any replies,

Phil

WOTs are not prescribed for 4.9's there is no reason to do it unless you want to. You might want to use a Rotella 15W40 and see if you get an improvement. Bbobynski recently gave the green light for 4.9s with the #1 main bearing knock. How many miles are on the engine? Do you get smoke on start up?

If that stuff is like the old thick molassas STP treatment, I would stay away from it.

I currently have 162000 kilometres which is roughly 100 000 miles. It does tend to smoke on start up occasionally but it's nothing major. It's just a small puff of smoke that comes out when I floor it. My buddy who was following me last night mentioned that it's not a cloud or anything and it seems to be fine until I let off and gun it again . What is that Rotella 15W40 sruff that you mentioned. Is it actual oil or an oil supplement?

Thanks for the replies,

Phil

I currently have 162000 kilometres which is roughly 100 000 miles. It does tend to smoke on start up occasionally but it's nothing major. It's just a small puff of smoke that comes out when I floor it. My buddy who was following me last night mentioned that it's not a cloud or anything and it seems to be fine until I let off and gun it again . What is that Rotella 15W40 sruff that you mentioned. Is it actual oil or an oil supplement?

Thanks for the replies,

Phil

This is an OIL, BJ's and Costco sells it. Do a search under 4.9 #1 bearing knock, bbobynski recommended Rotella and another brand that comes in 15w40... I think your problems will cease with this oil.. Mike

Thanks a whole bunch Mike. I'll give that oil a try on my next oil change. I've just recently had an oil change done so it will be a while until I can give that stuff a try. Do you think I'll do anymore damage in the mean time if I continue to drive like a nut?

Thanks, Phil

Thanks a whole bunch Mike. I'll give that oil a try on my next oil change. I've just recently had an oil change done so it will be a while until I can give that stuff a try. Do you think I'll do anymore damage in the mean time if I continue to drive like a nut?

Thanks, Phil

It does not sound like your problem is that bad, how many quarts are you using per 3,000 miles do you know? Look for leaking, the 4.9 had cooler lines that need their o-rings replaced, also there are o-rings behind the oil filter adapter. I would buy a case of this oil and when you need oil start to introduce it..

My car will obscure the car behind me when I WOT if I have not done it in a long time...

Archived