CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Report - one-year ownership

stefank

Well, it’s been one year now I drive my ´96 SLS, time for a short summary.

Car bought used from a 78 year old retired MD with 37,000 km (23,000 mls) on the clock. Always serviced by the dealer and parked in a heated garage.

I use this car for my daily commute to work, mostly german autobahn driving. As of today, it’s got 78,000 km (48,500 mls ) on it now.

My average fuel consumption is about 10 l / 100km (24 mpg). Oil consumption is very low at about ½ l (1 qt) every 5000 km (3000 mls). I change oil and filter when the oil life indicator starts to pop up at 10%. Usually I have covered 11,000 km (7,000 mls) by then.

Items which had to be replaced :

- brake pads front (worn)@ 63,000 km (39,000 mls)

- upper radiator hose (damaged) @ 73,000 km (45,000 mls)

- oil level sensor (defective) @ 75,000 km (46,500 mls)

- rubber vacuum hose (rodent damage) @ 75,000 km (46,500 mls)

Fuel rail recall carried out @ 74,000 km (46,000 mls) at no cost.

Car started every time and ran great always.

Still plagued with radio interference caused by suspension system.

No problems whatsoever with a/c, transmission, steering, windows, locks etc.

Conclusion: Wonderful car, great value for money. I love to drive it. Exceptional performance, even on winter roads.

Plus: over here it is a very rare sight, BMWs and Audis are all over the place, and every taxi is a MB.

Greetings from the land without general speed limit (but the fuel is 3.50 USD a gallon)

Stefan

stefank,

Glad to here from you with only GOOD NEWS!

Keep that Caddy for a while and continue to enjoy it!

One question: When daily driving the Autoban do you and

your fellow drivers tend to fly? Do you tend to race?

What is the average speed on the Autoban?

God Speed!

We were talking more and they indicated, somewhat condiscendingly that people in that part of the world "really run the cars hard and fast" as if no-one else was capable of doing that

I keep telling a buddy of mine to buy a Northstar powered car. He has an older Chevy pick up that he drives balls out all the time. His report on his truck in the past year is two engines, 4 transmissions, and a rear end. I told him I dare him to try and wreck a Northstar :lol: . He said as soon as he can afford one (which should be soon) he's gonna get one.

Spence

post-3-1111711609_thumb.jpg

We were talking more and they indicated, somewhat condiscendingly that people in that part of the world "really run the cars hard and fast" as if no-one else was capable of doing that
I keep telling a buddy of mine to buy a Northstar powered car. He has an older Chevy pick up that he drives balls out all the time. His report on his truck in the past year is two engines, 4 transmissions, and a rear end. I told him I dare him to try and wreck a Northstar :lol: . He said as soon as he can afford one (which should be soon) he's gonna get one.

Spence

I want you to keep us up to date with his 'field test'! :lol: Does he do all the maintenance to ensure he can drive them hard? Mike

CadiKing,

I usually cruise at about 130 kph (80mph). There are many people driving faster, if traffic allows. Sometimes, I go faster too, but on my SLS the top speed is limited to 220 kph (135 mph), even though it's been delivered with Z-rated tires. I guess this is done to separate it from the STS version.

My car is great in off-the-line acceleration. There are not many cars around which are faster than mine from a standstill. But on the autobahn it's different. The SLS has a low axle ratio which makes the engine rev slower than the STS at a given speed. This is great for cruising (and I love it) but is a performance disadvantage at higher speeds. If I stomp it at, say, 160 kph (100 mph) it changes gear immediateley and starts to accelerate, but speed gain is not outstanding. I think this is due to the SLS's engine layout with much torque at low revs and lower peak power at high revs.

Thre are many (turbo-)diesel powered cars around here now (this is mainly for taxation reasons) and they are pretty fast. A BMW five series 530d goes up to 240 kph (150 mph) and has great acceleration figures. Same applies to the MB E-class 270 cdi or 320 cdi. They outrun me on long, free stretches of autobahn...I think these engine versions are not imported to the US.

I am often asked (i.e. at gas stations) why I drive an american car. Most people over here think they are slow, have a comfortable suspension but terrible roadholding and use loads of gas. When I tell them actual figures (power, torque, gas mileage of the Caddy) they are impressed.

Many of my friends are car nuts, who would never have considered buying a Cadillac. After I give them a ride in mine they usually think different!

Best

Stefan

Archived