CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

PC0420

32v_dohc

My car is a 99 SLS with 61000 miles on it. It has a current PC0420. So far it has happened 3 times. The first time I did the cleaning procedure 2 minutes at 2500 RPM and reset the codes. 500 miles later it came back so I switched gas stations and brands and reset the codes. 500 miles later it has come back. This time I have just driven it. My understanding is that the code will move to history after three sucessful cycles. After driving 15 cycles it is still current. This leads me to believe that for how I drive it may take 500 miles to show up. My end question is what should I expect when I take it into the dealer. I know the cat is under warranty but the rest of the car is not. What things should I check before I let them work on it. There are no other codes and the engine runs very smoothly. I would kind of like to know what happened to the cat before it is replaced.

Thanks for any help

John

• 3 years later...

My car is a 99 SLS with 61000 miles on it. It has a current PC0420. So far it has happened 3 times. The first time I did the cleaning procedure 2 minutes at 2500 RPM and reset the codes. 500 miles later it came back so I switched gas stations and brands and reset the codes. 500 miles later it has come back. This time I have just driven it. My understanding is that the code will move to history after three sucessful cycles. After driving 15 cycles it is still current. This leads me to believe that for how I drive it may take 500 miles to show up. My end question is what should I expect when I take it into the dealer. I know the cat is under warranty but the rest of the car is not. What things should I check before I let them work on it. There are no other codes and the engine runs very smoothly. I would kind of like to know what happened to the cat before it is replaced.

Thanks for any help

John

John, what was the solution to your problem?

Thanks for any help

John

John, what was the solution to your problem?

Cat was replaced under warranty.

Archived