CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

STS question:Can aftermarket ignition help torque?

tekfx19

Hey people, i know that the STS has got some great top end horse, but i hate the fact that my friend's 99' GTP has got all this low end torque, he always beats me off the line, and i end up catching him around 50 or 60, I have K+N cone, w/ Dynomax super turbos, and he has intake, 8.5 mm spark plug wires, and smaller supercharger pulley. I heard that this one guywith an sls supposedly bought an aftermarket ignition system (MSD) and aftermarket coil packs and wires, and it boosted his torque to all hell (supposedly). Would that really help add torque in my 96 STS? what does it do? retard the spark timing or something? I appreciate anyones input. Thx again.

oh ok cool. Actually to be honest, it was an SLS on some car showoff site

http://www.sounddomain.com/member_pages/vi...d=252155&page=3

that got me questioning this whole ignition thing, he is obviously exagerating his claims, so a loose torque converter eh? will that "convert" hp into torque? meaning will i lose my top end hp by adding it? is it easy to install? will it interfere with my new supercharger in the hopefully near future??? lol thx Guru

"u da man"

btw i just had my tranny rebuilt a few months ago do to a failure, :-( 1700 bucks later and the thing has supposedly all new parts (the guy said it might outlast the engine) i prolly got taken for a ride, but who knows......

ok sorry about sounding like an idiot, ok so a torque converter is like a clutch for an automatic tranny, and yes i assume it is hard to install, but the question still remains will it cause any kind of problem with the top end hp, or cause any codes to come up? thx again wise and all knowing Guru

Archived