CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Door Locks

BIL

I just purchased a 1996 DeVille with 43,000 Miles. It still smells new inside.

Problem, when I operate the automatic locks from inside to lock and unlock the doors and when I use the lock and unlock on the remote, only the rear door locks respond. Can anyone tell me what is wrong with the front locks?

Also, I can't program the garage door opener per the owners manual instructions.

Thanks,

BIL

BIL,

Congratulations on your good fortune (only 43,000-miles)!

At first glance I had hoped your trouble was with the rear locks. As you know they have the "child protection" mechanical override just under the door latch. You could toggle those overrides and hope to de-confuse the controller logic?

I would guess that the front locks (and perhaps the remote opener) might have a separate fuse. If the fuse blew, then of course you may have to pull the lock actuators to find the defective one (assuming it blows again).

Good luck finding any specific fuse (old fuses seem to propagate new ones - but only in the most inconspicuous nooks or crannies). This is where the shop manual might be very handy (and I don't have one). :(

PS, You may want to fix your "User Info", as it shows you with a 1916 Caddy (good luck with those door locks - wooden blocks and horseshoes)? :P

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

Archived