CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Timeserting a N*

jhall

Thanks for the info on head alignment dowels. I timeserted the head yesterday without significant problem.

Next question -- Do I clean the timesert oil out of the holes with brake cleaner before installing the head?

Thanks.

Claude

Do I clean the timesert oil out of the holes with brake cleaner before installing the head?

Yes, clean the threads of oil so the torque values will be correct and to prevent any degradation of the thread locking material on the new bolts.

Use a piece of small hose attached to the air nozzle and put a rag over the hole before you blow out the excess cleaner. Don't forget to place a rag or other cover over the cylinders to prevent debris from getting in the wrong places.

I placed a drop of motor oil between the washer and the bolt head to reduce any false torque values as the bolt compressed against the washer. Not sure if this was necessary for these particular bolts, but I did it anyway from past practice.

Make a punch list so you know where you are in the tightening procedure. I goofed on this one when my wife interrupted me and I had a pucker moment that lasted until I was able to confirm the torques values (final torques were around 84 lb-ft at the last 60 degree rotation).

Good luck :)

OK, I timeserted my left head, installed new gasket and put the car back together. Thanks to everyone who responded to my questions!

My problem -- as soon as I reconnected the battery the alarm went off. The car will not start. There are no messages on the dash. It is just blank.

I did all the stuff the manual says (can't find my keyless remote -- it never worked very well anyway. Tried locking the door with the key and then closing it. Tried turning the key on and leaving it 20 minutes like the dealer recommended.) Eventually the horn quits sounding but if I open any door, trunk or hood it starts again.

Finally I had it towed to the dealer. "No problem. Probably a key cylinder. We'll have it fixed today or tomorrow." Then they called back to say they can't get the alarm to quit and asked how I do it!!!

So it is on day two at the dealer and I am concerned that they don't know what to do.

We timeserted the left head in the car. We didn't really have to disconnect very much to do that. The intake manifold was basically unbolted and pushed up out of the way but most cables and tubes were left intact. As near as we could tell we put everything back just the way it was.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Claude

Claude,

So we're clear, the left head is the one closest to the front of the car. I'm assuming this is the one you worked on. I'm also assuming that "does not start" means that the starter will not spin when the key is turned - plain dead.

Check the battery cables. Be sure the the ring terminals inside the rubber covers on the battery cables do not have corrosion between them.

This sounds like a connection problem.

Good luck! :)

False alarm -- literally. The car had an after-market security system. The dealer mechanic found and disabled it and now everything works like it says in the book.

Thanks for your help on this.

Claude

Archived