CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Throttle Body Cleaning

RJSUS

Good Morning....I've viewed archives on cleaning throttle body...98 seville sls 4.6 ...i got to the plate..opened it...pretty grimey and oily...looked for ports to clean them out...did i miss something or is the setup different...i didn't see ports as described....it's been idling rough for a week or so...removed egr valve..cleaned it up...did the plugs..so my next step was throttle body..put it back together and still idling strangely...any insight ?? thanx...russ

Did you pull any codes from the system to see if there is another problem?

Perhaps a misfire of some type?

One note on the EGR valve. If I recall, the EGR can be damaged easily due to the sensitive valve and seat arrangement. The repair manual cautions against using any agressive scraping or chemicals.

that explains that ..thanx bb...while i was in there i did cleanup both sides and the surrounding contact area....i have been getting a chatter on cold starts..tested the egr valve by brake torque method as suggested..didn't get the expected results..so i'm pricing egr valves now...i did pull codes and 405 stall history came up....it did stall twice on me at idle..replaced plugs...i misted the wires and all checkout fine...idle and misfire is getting the best of me

that explains that ..thanx bb...while i was in there i did cleanup both sides and the surrounding contact area....i have been getting a chatter on cold starts..tested the egr valve by brake torque method as suggested..didn't get the expected results..so i'm pricing egr valves now...i did pull codes and 405 stall history came up....it did stall twice on me at idle..replaced plugs...i misted the wires and all checkout fine...idle and misfire is getting the best of me

Archived