CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Installing Front Swaybar Links on 96 STS

ItsAllHype

I was hoping someone who has installed front swaybar links on a 96 Seville STS or similar sees this. Is it easier to install using car ramps or with a floor jack? In the GM service manual it talks about taking the tires off, hanging the suspension, is this the best way? I don't know if I will mess with the bushings, they don't seem to be damaged, but I am open to input. Basically looking for the best way to approach this project. I have changed links on old GM cars, the type you end up cutting or twisting them until they break, but this is my first with this car. Thanks, Al from Chicago

I ave done this job on my '97 STS. It is easy. You'll need to do as described - chock the rear tires, raise the front of the car and put it on jackstands (removing all load from the front suspension). Remove both front wheels. The end-links will be mounted vertically. Remove the nuts from the upper and lower end-link bushings. Mine were stubborn and I had to use a hammer to actually knock the upper studs out on the old links, but it wasn't too difficult. Install the new ones and make certain to torque the bolts to the proper spec. You'll be very pleased with your now quiet front suspension. This is a very common repair on these cars.

Verify that the links are bad before you replace them, they are quite expensive, the stabilizer bar bushings are usually causing the noise, the bushings as Guru said, wear and allow the stop to contact the frame, for a small price of about $20 you could eliminate the bump induced noise are get. However, if you are intent on replacing the links, be sure to replace the bar bushings also. Mike

That is my dillema and why I am putting off doing the job. Is it the links or the bushings? After driving it around today on Saturday erands, I would describe the sound as a muffled galloping sound. Like I am listening to short sound bursts of a horse running. This post has inspired me to post one on common or not so common problems/solutions.

That is my dillema and why I am putting off doing the job. Is it the links or the bushings? After driving it around today on Saturday erands, I would describe the sound as a muffled galloping sound. Like I am listening to short sound bursts of a horse running. This post has inspired me to post one on common or not so common problems/solutions.

Both parts if they are worn will be the cause of bump induced noise. But the diagnosis is easy, jack it up supporting the lower control arm, detach the link on one end and feel for play in it at both end joints, if there is play or movement in the joint replace it, if you are getting noise from it the damage should be obvious to you, if no play in either link, look to the bushings. My guess is its your bushings a cheap easy job.. Mike

Even if it is the end links making the noise the mounting bushings will need replacing anyway....so...just start with the easy parts and replace the mounting bushings and see if the noise goes away. It is most frequently the mounting bushings so I would replace them without hesitation just as a preventive maintenance item.

Thats true, and when you do the bushing job, if there is a bad link, it will be obvious

Archived