CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Defenitions of "Current" and "History" codes

Oldgamer

Just couples days ago I thought I have a right picture of defenitions of "current" and "history" codes. If I pull the codes and code reads as current it means it actually exists in same moment, right now. If code reads as "history" it means it not presents in the time, but happened before. I have 94 STS.

Recently, my friend (he bought 2000 Deville in 2004) told me that he got a message "Service engine soon" and drove to his mechanic. Mechanic shows him a code P0741 (TCC solenoid stuck off) and recommended to drive and not to do anything in rush. Really, my friend didn't noticed anything wrong with a car except the light. My friend continued to drive and message was on. He didn't know about ability to pull out codes by himself. So, I get in his car and pull out the codes. There were a bunch of history codes and P0741 as current.

I wrote the codes down and cleared them. After that the current code P0741 and the message disappered! I was surprized that after clearing the codes I didn't get the current code again! How come? Before I thought that "Current" code means that problem exist RIGHT NOW. Is it different for OBD II?

Anyway, my friend feel better now (he thought he will need to buy a transmission or other expenses) and no messages for a while.

This will be my last rant on this. Thank you all for letting me vent.

It looks like the definition depends on the status of your warrantee.

If your car is under warrantee:

Current means they might fix it.

History means they definitely won't.

If your car is off warrantee:

Current means they'll definitely fix it, likely first try, big bill.

History means it will take at least three tries to fix, massive bill.

Seriously though my guess would be that the computer has no idea that the TCC is stuck open until it tries to lock it… Unless its intermittent, my guess, the next time his drives faster than 45 MPH (or so) the light will re-appear.

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

Sorry Guru my post was supposed to be funny... :)

I guess it missed...

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

"If this sounds complicated it is.....LOL"

Actually it isn't sounds too complicated. The logic of a lot of IFs in a software, that what is complicated. Thousands of variables. And of course the PCM is dumb. That's why PCM mulfunctions cost the most. It's hard to find out, specially if code related to something more complicated than coolant temperature. I know three cases on a forum in which PCM was cause of trouble. All three PCM were 94'. In one case the car was in a garage a year (steallership said it has head gasket blown), in other case owner changed a sensor, and something else, don't remember. And that was a SIMPLE coolant temperature test mulfunctionning. What about other codes, more complicated?

And now, with OBD II when you read something like "Loss communication Class 2...." what goes to your mind? Not much too much to me. Just something like "I hope it's only a fuse...". Couse it's possible just a fuse intermittent.

Archived