CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Mounting a Northstar on an engine stand

jhall

Hi guys,

I pulled the N* from my '97 Deville on Monday (from the top I might add) to replace the head gaskets.

I had the engine on the hoist and I was getting ready to place it on an engine stand which bolts to the rear of the engine when I considered the potential for damage to the bell housing mating face since it's an aluminum engine.

A check in my Helms manual shows an engine stand that appears to provide front and rear support.

Does anyone have first-hand experience in mounting a N* on an engine stand which does not provide support to the front of the engine??

Any experienced help appreciated.

Dennis,

Thanks for the response. Very timely.

I just finished cleaning off the grit and grease before I open the engine. I'll go ahead and put it on the stand. B)

Jeff

You are going to timesert it aren't you :huh:

My 97 STS had a number of headbolts loose... I replaced that engine with another STS motor. My orginal motor is still on the engine stand. As soon as I get time I will probably timesert it and sell it, or buy another car with a bad motor and use it in it.

Good luck, just be patient and be sure you use the manual.

Dennis

Timesert???? ABSOLUTELY ;)

Got it on the stand. It's really easy to reach all the parts for pull-down.

I plan to replace the main crank seals along with others and the input shaft seal on the tranny too.

I'm a little concerned about head warpage since the car overheated from a water pump belt failure and pushed the head gaskets over the edge. I hope I don't need to tear them down and mill them.....

One little obstacle right now is getting the water pump drive pulley off the camshaft extension. Tried to make a pulling tool, but the pulley is really on there - much tighter than I expected.

Might have to get the tool. Does anyone know if NAPA has these or if there is an alternative method for removal (other than cutting it off of course!)??

Timesert???? ABSOLUTELY ;)

Got it on the stand.  It's really easy to reach all the parts for pull-down.

I plan to replace the main crank seals along with others and the input shaft seal on the tranny too.

I'm a little concerned about head warpage since the car overheated from a water pump belt failure and pushed the head gaskets over the edge.  I hope I don't need to tear them down and mill them.....

One little obstacle right now is getting the water pump drive pulley off the camshaft extension.  Tried to make a pulling tool, but the pulley is really on there - much tighter than I expected. 

Might have to get the tool.  Does anyone know if NAPA has these or if there is an alternative method for removal (other than cutting it off of course!)??

It's the same pulley remover used for the power steering pump pulley. Should be able to rent one cheap. Use a metric bolt to put it back on again.

You can check for head warpage with a long straight edge and some feeler gages. I wouldn't be to concerned about that though... When you replace the the seals make sure you replace the lower oil manifold as well. I would also replace the lower case half seals since the motor is already on the stand. To replace the rear main leave the bolts loose and install the new rear main according to manual placement and then torque and do the torque angle as described. BTW you did buy a torque angle gage, didn't you??? If not you'll need to get one.

For parts I would get with Bill at P & G 724-947-9501 very good people to work with and the prices are good, they are in PA. I've spent a ton of money with them since I own a number of GM cars.

I do have a list of some of the parts I bought from them and some prices as well. Make sure to get the head locating pins again since you will need to pull them.

Locating Pins 

Deck Surface 3522352 $3.60

BellHousing 12338076 $2.29

If you have any question ask the forum...

Dennis

Archived