CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

'97 Deville N* engine pull

jhall

Hi,

I've pulled off an array of items to get ready to pull a N* 4.9L from my '97 Deville (130K miles - head gasket blown).

I've looked at the past posts (very helpful), but have a question on whether it's possible to pull the motor and leave the tranny in the car.

I saw pictures on a past post ('94 STS - I think), but I'm not sure if this can be done on a '97 Deville. There's about 2-1/2 inches clearance on the passenger side of the engine, but I'm not sure if this is enough to clear the transmission / engine shaft so the engine can be tilted out.

One issue is the big fat wiring harness that appears will be a real pain in removing from the top of the tranny if I have to pull the whole assembly.

Car is on jack stands - I can work underneath - sort of.... I plan to drain the tranny and replace / clean the filters while the engine is out.

Any advice from someone who's done this type of work would be greatly appreciated.

I could swear that I already saw this post and replied to it. It is way easier to pull the whole thing out together and seperate the motor from the tranny outside of the vehicle.

Caddy_Grill.jpg2008 DTS

I will come out the top without removing the trans. There are a number of us who have done it that way. Next time I'll try it out the bottom although I don't have much overhead room in my garage.

Dennis

Archived