CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Electronic Level Control (ELC) Fitting O-Ring Size & Availability

Hello All,

The car is like a different car since the new front struts and air shocks have been installed!! It's a 1989 Sedan de Ville for those who have not seen any of the prior threads about this car. I don't know whether there were changes in the fittings for the ELC fittings over the years or if they stayed the same.

I appear, however, to have another small issue: a very slow, but still faster than it should be, leak. The car is going through a "car is leveling" cycle when it is not running after sitting for between 4 and 8 hours. I believe, given the speed of the cycle, that this is not a problem with the air shocks but is instead a slow leak at one of the fittings.

The lines have already been checked and don't leak. I think the tiny O-rings in the fittings at the shocks, plus at least one on one side of the overpressure valve on the compressor, are allowing a very slow leak. I get some slight bubbling with a soapy water test at the overpressure valve fitting and suspect there may be others.

Does anyone know what AS568 dash size these O-rings are? Are they available from auto parts stores or do I need to order a bag of the correct size from amazonsupply.com? I can't imagine that the material will make all that much difference since we're dealing with air, but if anyone knows what the originals are composed of that would be interesting to know as well.

Thanks,

Brian

Brian

Forums_Pic.jpg

Bri the Tech Guy   http://britechguy.com
britechguy@gmail.com   (540) 324-5032
"If it's got you screaming, I'll help you stop!!"

• 2 weeks later...

I just found Monroe makes a kit that is intended for the Caddys air shock system - it includes the lines, the clips , and the 90 degree fittings that snap onto the shock nipple and has 3 or 4 "O" rings in it also , was under $15.

Monroe part# [ AK29 ] - check it out , it may help....

Are you able to measure those O-rings with a caliper? If I can get the outside diameter and the thickness of the O-ring I can then map it to the correct AS568 dash number.

Brian

Brian

Forums_Pic.jpg

Tomorrow I can, am done for the night, and my didital caliper is in the other shop, not here at home.

Your in luck because I havn't installed the lines yet , and the orings are still in the package.

I would of had it done , but ran into a bad upper knuckle bushing, and decided to change both upper and lower on both sides...what a %$#^ getting those puched out , new ones went in well after cleaning up the bores etc.

Sorry got sidetracked. My rear shock replacement has turned into a 3 day adventure. Shocks - top shock mounts, new lines, upper and lower knuckle bushings , of wich the lower one was 1/8" too long.Of course this wasn't apperent till it was pressed in and trying to get it back in the knuckle - and the only moog part# there is for it. New brake pads, and dealing with a frozen caliper, and rotors turned.

SO best I can do is following - O ring O.D - 6.35 mm / .25 in.

ID is not acurate , so small and stretches etc. but the line O.D. is 3.2 mmm/.1260 in.

material thickness looks to be 1.78 mm. / .07 in.

I still say just buy the monroe kit and replace it all - good luck.

Thanks much.

I don't disagree with you about buying the Monroe Kit at that price. However, I've also found that tiny O-rings in particular tend to fly into deep, dark corners never to be seen again.

For the public record, the measurements you've given mean that these are AS568-006 (often stated as "dash 006") O-rings. If you end up needing extras, that's the size to get. Since these are for an air system the elastomer will be less critical than the shore durometer rating being on the "soft" side to allow a nice, airtight seal.

By the way, are they a color other than black? This is often the best way to get a quick fix on the O-ring elastomer being used.

Brian

Brian

Forums_Pic.jpg

Archived