CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

$120 to fix huge coolant leak?

Cadillac STS

There's something about this situation that just isn't right.

In the first place, when I go to my dealer a writer writes up the problem and it goes into the computer system. How do you then make a deal with the mechanic "Under the Table" unless you meet him outside work and don't go through the dealer at all.

Secondly, if the mechanic REALLY replaced the water pump for $120, then he had to get a water pump from somewhere and he couldn't do it for $120. He had to steal if from someone, probably from his boss, the dealer.

Now don't misunderstand, I like a great deal was well as the next one but I don't want to get it by putting stolen parts on my Caddy or anything else I own.

There's something about this situation that just isn't right.

In the first place, when I go to my dealer a writer writes up the problem and it goes into the computer system.  How do you then make a deal with the mechanic "Under the Table" unless you meet him outside work and don't go through the dealer at all.

Secondly, if the mechanic REALLY replaced the water pump for $120, then he had to get a water pump from somewhere and he couldn't do it for $120.  He had to steal if from someone, probably from his boss, the dealer.

Now don't misunderstand, I like a great deal was well as the next one but I don't want to get it by putting stolen parts on my Caddy or anything else I own.

The only guy i worked with was Eddie, who is a technician but never even worked on my car..

he told me that i he could "hook me up " but lets go back alittle...

at first no one was 100% sure where my coolant leak was coming from..so i decided to leave the car there for a diagnosis because they were sure i was going to get what ever needs to be fixed over there...my car was in no condition to be driven, because it was about ready to over heat

i told Eddie that i can't afford their over inflated prices...I was flat out honest that I didn’t want my parents to pay for the repair. He understood and knew that it would be coming out of my pocket. A 16 year high school student...

so he told me it would cost $150 if it was the water pump

..so i said $120 and he left, came back and said he would have to do it under the table and that he couldn't put that into the computer...so that’s how I came to $120

so after they diagnosed the car the next morning, they confirmed that it was the water pump... Gave him the go ahead to replace it.

When i came to pick up the car and pay, Eddie told me that he put " Declined repair" on the work sheet and service data base... gave em $110 cash and a $10 check and left..

well that’s all...oh right after i got my car home i noticed they washed it for me...not happy...there automatic car washes suck @$$!

I'm a car care nut..so when I saw all the darn blemishes they embedded into my finish, i had no choice but to polish/wax the car...

i recently removed the chrome all around from the lower part of the car.

Enjoy (For sale) pictures taken on 2/13/04

f9a21971.jpg

f9a21969.jpg

f9a21964.jpg

f9a21960.jpg

If you say so; but I still say that Eddie is either a thief or a philanthropist.

NOBODY can replace a water pump on an STS for $120 without it costing somebody some money. I doubt it was Eddie.

Look, you are THERE! You should be able to look at the water pump and tell if it's been replaced. I can't tell that from here.

I'm only saying that for $120 he either:

1. Didn't replace the water pump.

2. He stole a water pump and put it on for you.

3. He bought a water pump out of his own pocket.

If I understand you correctly, the dealer got $110 for the diagnosis and you gave Eddie $10 for putting it on. You can't buy a water pump, even at cost, for $120, even if the dealer cooperated so where did it come from?

I guess the third possibility is that he scavenged one from a wrecked car in their yard. Do you now Eddie so well he would go to all that work for you?

Smart Guy

If I understand you correctly, the dealer got $110 for the diagnosis and you gave Eddie $10 for putting it on. You can't buy a water pump, even at cost, for $120, even if the dealer cooperated so where did it come from?

You can buy a "new" water pump at napaonline for around $70, so I guess the guy did it for $50 labor under the table. Sounds like a "win-win" to me! ;)

Archived