CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Cadillac CTS - identify timing chain upgrade?

Ian uk

Hi All,

I am new to the forum so I apologise if this question has been asked a hundred times (I did do a search, promise). I am posting from the UK where I am looking into getting my first Cadillac CTS (particularly a rather nice 2007 silver 3.6 with just 20k on the clock). I've had a row of Saabs before but the CTS just seems so much more desireable and individual (a very rare sight on UK roads). Not to mention faster!

My budget will just about stretch to a series 1, possibly an 07. Now, I understand (and please correct me if I am wrong) that the timing chain design was upgraded around this time to solve a known issue with early wear. Is there anyway I can tell if the particular car I am looking at has been subject to such an upgrade - chassis number, or engine serial number perhaps??

I maybe paranoid but my last Saab had an "extremely rare" issue with oil circulation and the engine lunched itself, leaving me thousands of pounds out of pocket - it sort of focuses the mind to what can go wrong!!

Many thanks in advance guys....

Archived