CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

High cold idle causes delayed trans engagement

tbow5

I have a 92 Cad STS (4.9). Transmission engagement into drive is delayed when engine is cold. No delayed engagement when going into reverse. Delay appears to be casued by high idle speed at cold start. No issues when shifting into gear unless RPMs are over approx 1100. I just had the ISC replaced which did not help.

Thanks for your thoughts.

I experienced this on a 91 Seville also only when the idle was high. I dont know for sure but its possible that its by design for safety reasons to prevent the car from lunging forward at high idle. But I can't confirm that. You need to get your idle down to normal. Its possible that your TB needs cleaning or the ISC is out of adjustment or defective, or you just need a general TB cleaning and adjustment. First check to see if you have any codes set in the computer and write them down, attached is the method of running diagnostics.

Try disconnecting the battery for a few minutes and reconnecting it, it will force an idle learn procedure and may correct your problem, and see if there are any codes.

By the way when the computer gets done spilling its information it displays "ECM?". (if I recall) At that point its looking for input to override etc, just turn the ignition key off at that point. You can turn the ignition key on and re-enter diagnostics. The codes, if you have any come fast so be ready to write them down. Let us know what you find :D

post-3-1094564553.jpg

Thanks for the reply and suggestions. No current or history codes are displayed in the system. Any other suggestions? Is there a way to adjust the idle speed so it idles slower. Or do I have a transmission issue instead of an idle issue?

Thanks for the reply and suggestions. No current or history codes are displayed in the system. Any other suggestions? Is there a way to adjust the idle speed so it idles slower. Or do I have a transmission issue instead of an idle issue?

It is unlikely a transmission problem but it is related to your idle speed. Try disconnecting your negative battery lead for a few minutes and then reconnecting it. At 1100 RPM its possible the throat of your TB and throttle plates are dirty and holding you open. Clean it with a tooth brush and top engine cleaner and disconnect your battery again. You may need to adjust your ISC motor.. Let us know

post-3-1094646857.jpg

I'll clean the throttle body and try the re-learn process to see if that helps. In the meantime, what is the procedure to adjust the ISC motor?

Thanks again.

I just emailed you two pages explaining the procedures, posting them here may use too much server space..

Archived