CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Guys,

Whenever I have to jack my '99 STS with a floor jack, like during a brake replacement, I always wonder how to jack it properly. The FSM says a lot about "shipping slot reinforcements", but I have never been able to identify anything like that looking under the car. I jack it where the spare tire jack is supposed to go, at the rocker panel molding cutouts. I put a piece of 2X4 on the jack, then jack it at the rocker flange where the molding cutout is. Never had any problem, but I'd feel a lot better jacking it where I'm supposed to, although this has to be "safe". I was hoping some of you could relate how you handle this. Thanks in advance!

....I jack it where the spare tire jack is supposed to go, at the rocker panel molding cutouts. I put a piece of 2X4 on the jack, then jack it at the rocker flange where the molding cutout is.

If you are placing the jack far enough inboard to contact the subframe, you are doing it right.

Spreading the load with lumber is a good idea. I use a 12" piece of hardwood 2x6. And I always use jack stands.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Thanks Jim. I guess anywhere that looks solid is OK, especially considering how careless most tire shops are, and I haven't heard of damaged frames. I was hoping to learn where the infamous FSM "shipping slots" really are. Agreed on the jack stands, don't jack without them!

Here is the RF corner of my '98 Seville behind the wheel.

The cut out in the unibody about 6" behind the wheel is the jack point intended for the OEM screwjack. Lifting on the unibody is not a good choice. Directly inboard is the passenge seat floor pan and directly inboard of that is the subframe.

I lift on the subframe with a floor jack.

th_RFjackpoint.jpg

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Archived