CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

poly bushing / mount sets

bigfoo

Does anyone know of where I could get a set of better bushings for my car? Including motor mounts and such? I've called around and looked but nobody really has anything for cadillacs...... I'm finding this to be a trend. It's rather annoying :) Every time I replace something on vehlcle, i replace it with a better part and finding any type of aftermarket parts for these cars is impsosible unless it's something like a alternator or p/s pump and those are usually just remans.

The only poly part I was able to find were the strut rod bushings and they helped the cars directional stability greatly. I went OEM with the stabilizer bar bushing as poly was not available, I do think a poly stabilizer bar bushing would improve the performance however I fear that a poly bushing would transmit more damaging vibration to the links and damage them more quickly. As far as poly control arm bushings, I personally think that poly would transmit road vibration too much and change the ride of the car too much and I would be reluctant to go through all that work and hurt the ride characteritics as far as comfort is concerned. One of the things I hated about our 86 Corvette was that it loosened your back teeth on bumps, so I don't want to induce that type of ride myself. Not that I don't think the struts and springs wouldn't cushion the increased blow, its just that I think bumps will be more acute and sharp. When you get a chance go to the dealer or auto parts store and look at a set of lower control arm bushings they are quite hard and hefty. What do you think? Does the potential of changing the ride to a harder ride concern you or are you only looking for performance? People who hear my computer are freaked out by how loud it is (it doesn't bother me except when I want to hear something, lol), but its because I have five hard drives, three of which are SCSI Ultra-160 Cheetahs running at 15,000 RPM, a P4-3.06HT, NVIDIA FX5900 Ultra, 3 CDROMS, and a 550 watt power supply and six fans, lots of heat generating components so I sacrifice a QUIET computer for speed and convenience. So if you are willing to sacrifice, I understand completely! :P

Hehe.. My computer is water cooled and overclocked p4 to 3.6ghz and still has a bunch of fans. I understand EXACTLY about the computer :> I don't care if I feel some bumps as long as iit doesn't rattle.. when you go over a bump and it feels like the suspension went up and down real fast and maybe bounced a bit i hate that.. i just want one thump and it's over.. My bushings aren't bad yet except one of my motor or tranny mounts ( haven't found out which one yet.. ugh) but i'm starting to look for a set anyway :> Nice computer by the way :) What kinda monitor you got? I have a neovo 19" lcd and a 19" viewsonic

Hehe.. My computer is water cooled and overclocked p4 to 3.6ghz and still has a bunch of fans. I understand EXACTLY about the computer :> I don't care if I feel some bumps as long as iit doesn't rattle.. when you go over a bump and it feels like the suspension went up and down real fast and maybe bounced a bit i hate that.. i just want one thump and it's over.. My bushings aren't bad yet except one of my motor or tranny mounts ( haven't found out which one yet.. ugh) but i'm starting to look for a set anyway :> Nice computer by the way :) What kinda monitor you got? I have a neovo 19" lcd and a 19" viewsonic

I am using dual-view by Nvidia and am using a 17" Sony and a 17" Envision, its amazing using two monitors as a desktop, are you doing the same? I usually have an excel spreadsheet up in one, and my word doc in the other (and sometimes this Cadillac board, lol...). I am using an ASUS P4T533 with 512 meg of RDRAM, going to the ASUS P4P800-E Deluxe or P4C800-E Deluxe soon, I am thrilled that MS came out with SP-2, hopefully it won't cause more problems, I am waiting for more articles on it before I go to SP-2. Hey I have to tell you, you are catching up quick, I am beginning to see you in my rear view, at your pace, I will be looking at your exhaust outlets soon, what did you have the other day, 27 posts? I had to tip my hat to you, :lol:

your car is a 99;why do you want to change the motor mout so early? They usually fail when the car has considerable milage. I've replaced both the upper and the lower engine mounts on my 94 sts recently, and the noise level has dramatically improved ever since. The big rubber bushing in my lower engine mount was totally torn apart and the metal part was moving freely. The rubber inside my upper engine mount was also torn.

There is aftermarket upper engine mounts(dog bones) available. I got them for $43can each. The lower engine mount is a dealer item (only OEM available) and I got it for $160can.

You can visually inspect the upper engine mounts and see if the rubber inside them is good or not. To test the lower engine mount you need open the hood and have somebody to sit in the vehicle with his foot on the brake and shift the car in drive or reverse. Then you need to see how much the engine moves forward and backward. This was a technique I learned from a very expert mechanic in a GM dealership. If you have too much movement in the engine then there is a problem with your lower engine mount. Before I replaced the lower engine mount, my engine was moving more than 3 inches each way. Now it only moves an inch or so.

Also remember that if you have a damaged lower engine mount it will also damage the upper engine mounts, due to excessive movement of the engine. This was the case for me since the upper engine mounts were replaced not long before I purchased the car.

Replacing the upper engine mounts is very easy but the lower one is very hard. It took me and my brother many hours to do it. It takes a professional mechanic about 3.2 hours (according to my collision estimate book).

EHeh.. I work in front of the computer all day and I type really fast so posting messages takes me like 30 seconds :)

The reason I think the mount is bad is because it clunks.......... say you put it in 2nd gear and get up to 3000 rpm the let off the gas then hit the gas again it clunks more than I think it should. It's not a loud noise or anything but I can FEEL it..

your car is a 99;why do you want to change the motor mout so early? They usually fail when the car has considerable milage. I've replaced both the upper and the lower engine mounts on my 94 sts recently, and the noise level has dramatically improved ever since. The big rubber bushing in my lower engine mount was totally torn apart and the metal part was moving freely. The rubber inside my upper engine mount was also torn.

There is aftermarket upper engine mounts(dog bones) available. I got them for $43can each. The lower engine mount is a dealer item (only OEM available) and I got it for $160can.

You can visually inspect the upper engine mounts and see if the rubber inside them is good or not. To test the lower engine mount you need open the hood and have somebody to sit in the vehicle with his foot on the brake and shift the car in drive or reverse. Then you need to see how much the engine moves forward and backward. This was a technique I learned from a very expert mechanic in a GM dealership. If you have too much movement in the engine then there is a problem with your lower engine mount. Before I replaced the lower engine mount, my engine was moving more than 3 inches each way. Now it only moves an inch or so.

Also remember that if you have a damaged lower engine mount it will also damage the upper engine mounts, due to excessive movement of the engine. This was the case for me since the upper engine mounts were replaced not long before I purchased the car.

Replacing the upper engine mounts is very easy but the lower one is very hard. It took me and my brother many hours to do it. It takes a professional mechanic about 3.2 hours (according to my collision estimate book).

Did replacing the dog bones make a difference? Mike

Yes, replacing both the dogbones and lower engine mount made a ton of difference in my car. It totally eliminated the clunking noise, which was mainly due to the lower engine mount.

Archived