CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

I am new here, is this where I can post something about my 97 Eldo?

I bought a 97 Eldo ETC with a blown engine as a fix up project. I put an engine and transmission in it, and it runs really nice but has electrical stuff going on. When I turn the key to the on position, there is a 10 or so second delay before anything happens on the dash. The engine can be started during this delay. The instrument panel lights up and the radio comes on after this delay, but the exterior lights come on and stay on at this time. They stay on as long as the key is on, engine running or not. The only thing the light switch seems to control at this time is the dash lights. The twilight sensor does not seem to work. With the key turned off, the light switch works as expected.

Other things observed:

-The info center does not work.

-The antilock brake, traction control, ride control, and airbag lights stay lit on the instrument panel.

-Digital messages continuously scroll on the panel, including "theft deterrent problem, engine may not restart"

-When I tried to program the remote, it would not enter the programming mode.

-The climate controls don't seem to respond correctly.

To have all that wrong, from what I see on schematics, this website and others, I suspect the DIM...... Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Everything else (ha!!) seems to work.. Turn signals, power seats, mirrors, locks, and windows, cruise control, compass, etc. The Bose stereo sounds awesome!!

Any Ideas?

Diagnostic Trouble Codes are your friend. Poke around on the link below and see if you can find instructions for displaying your '97 Eldo codes;

http://www.caddyinfo.com/readingcodes.html

I have zero experience with your year/model and I do not have a Cadillac Service Manual prior to 1998 so I am not going to be much help. But I would thoroughly investigate the reason for the "theft deterrent problem" message.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Diagnostic Trouble Codes are your friend. Poke around on the link below and see if you can find instructions for displaying your '97 Eldo codes;

http://www.caddyinfo.com/readingcodes.html

I have zero experience with your year/model and I do not have a Cadillac Service Manual prior to 1998 so I am not going to be much help. But I would thoroughly investigate the reason for the "theft deterrent problem" message.

It will not even enter the display mode! I have another 97 Eldo. I displayed the codes on it, so I know how to do it,,,,it just doesn't respond at all.

Any other ideas? Where is the DIM even located? I have searched around on the internet and have yet to find it.

....Where is the DIM even located? I have searched around on the internet and have yet to find it.

I do not know for your model. My Seville has the DIM behind the passenger side kick panel.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Turns out the Eldos have no DIM,,they have a Body Control Module, or PZM. and it is located on the driver's side of the panel behind the back seat. I asked a Cadillac technician on justanswer.com and he didn't fix my problem but he got me some useful information. Since I cannot get into the OBD mode, his educated guess was that the instrument cluster was bad. Since I have an extra 97 Eldo, I ran to the shop with that information, and switched out the cluster. It didn't make a difference so I ran back to the house, reported back to him. Changing out the body control module made it behave a little differently, but still no access to OBD. He said if it were in his shop, he would use the Tech 2 equipmetnt; that he thingks any competent Cadillac man should be about to diagnose it that way, but it may cost $500 or so just for the diagnoses. But I am in Kansas and he is in New Hampshire!. Anybody have any experience with the tech 2 stuff? How do I find a good guy for that? I think for now, I will just put all the dash and stuff back together, insure and tag the car and drive it this way for a while.

Archived