CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

A QUICK QUESTION ABOUT PUTTING THE ENGINE TOGETHER

AliRaza

I finally put the heads of the northstar engine together and packed the engine to put it back in the car. When I was tightening the crank shaft bolt, I applied the required torque and for my surprise, the engine didnt turn at all while I was applying the force to tighten the bolt. I was expecting to hold the flywheel in order to tighten the crankshaft bolt.

Now as the engine is already in, I am planning to put the rest of the stuff back in. But while talking to my friend, he asked me if I turned the engine manually before putting it back and my answer was NO. And then tonight I tried to rotate teh engine by using a box socket but it is not turning. Took teh spark plugs out but no luck.

All the steps including bringing the block to TDC and then aligning the cam shafts and get the chain right were all perfect. So I cant understand what is holding it from turning.

Immediate help is needed as I am planning to work on it tomorrow and now kind of in a limbo.

Thanks

What exactly did you do ? Make a list starting from the first part put together. If the transmission is hooked up to the engine then it might stop it from turning but i'm not sure to what degree. Got any pics? I'm probably going to do an engine 'rebuild' in the next 6-12 months so I'm curious

The head gaskets were blown. So I toook the engine out of the car from the top. Took the heads offf. Re-drill the holes in the block, timesert all 20 holes, put new gasket and bolts and packed the engine. While packing the engine, I finally put the oil pump in after setting the timing chain and then after installing the front cover, I put the crankshaft wheel on. As I mentioned before, while tightening the crandshaft bolt to the required torque (I think it was 37 ft-lb and then a 120 degree turn) the engine didnt turn at all. I didnt notice it then but now after I talked to my friend, I am thinking if this is how its supposed to be????

So the non-turning issue is even before the engine was placed back inside the car.

And yes I do have quite a few pictures that I took during the course. I will be glad to share it with you. I was thinking about posting it on a website once I will be done with this repair.

Yes teh cam chain is on. However I checked everything before putting teh heads together. I had teh position of TDC by aligning the marks on teh cam chain sprocket. Also had LI /LE and RI/RE perpendicular to teh face of the head. I then put teh chains on. And afterward packed teh engine.

Need to find what is causing the problem. I am thinking about loosing the Bell housing bolts to see if teh flywheel is stuck with something.

Any help will be highly appreciated.

Wit the heads on and everything hooked up the engine isn't going to be 'easy' to turn.. Give it a little grunt and see if it turns. It should be 'not too difficult to turn' with a breaker bar but it isn't going to turn with 30-40lbs ... maybe a teeny bit (try both directions) Did you lube everything before you put it back together?

I finally put the heads of the northstar engine together and packed the engine to put it back in the car. When I was tightening the crank shaft bolt, I applied the required torque and for my surprise, the engine didnt turn at all while I was applying the force to tighten the bolt. I was expecting to hold the flywheel in order to tighten the crankshaft bolt.

Now as the engine is already in, I am planning to put the rest of the stuff back in. But while talking to my friend, he asked me if I turned the engine manually before putting it back and my answer was NO. And then tonight I tried to rotate teh engine by using a box socket but it is not turning. Took teh spark plugs out but no luck.

All the steps including bringing the block to TDC and then aligning the cam shafts and get the chain right were all perfect. So I cant understand what is holding it from turning.

Immediate help is needed as I am planning to work on it tomorrow and now kind of in a limbo.

Thanks

You have a problem. I can turn a Northstar engine over with a standard size

3/4" wrench on the front crank bolt. This is with plugs in, etc. You are going to have to retrace your steps. Do not try to start the engine like this, as you could

do a fair bit of damage.

Did the engine turn over after you installed the chains? At this point, you should have rotated the engine over until all the marks were re-aligned again. This takes about 24 turns I believe. Then you should have installed the oil pump. I've seen these installed incorrectly and get cocked slightly sideways.

Anyway, pull it back apart and retrace your steps until you find the problem. Better to find it now, then later after you have everything all back together.

Ian

Ya he's right.. slowly start disconnecting things like the oil pump, chains, etc until it turns.. it should turn freely without the plugs in it without much force.. with the plugs it it will be more difficult but it shouldn't ever be 'locked' where it won't even move the teeniest bit. Even with high compression it will move back and forth a little bit with some ease. If you take the chains off and the oil pump you should be able to turn the wheel with your hand or a small wrench

Thanks guys.

Here is what I did

I aligned teh two dots on teh CAM sprocket to get teh TDC position. I then aligned the head intake and exhaust sprockets and install teh heads with new gaskets and bolts. Third step was to put the chains on. I should have tried to rotate teh engine at that point. I believe the problem must have been induced after teh chain alignment. That is teh part when I installed teh opil pump and then the oil pump sleve and finally the harmonic balancer (Crank Shaft wheel). I used the bolt to push the wheel in instead of a installation tool and then tight it to 37ftlb and a 120 degree rotation. Surprisingly the engine never moved at all.

Do you think of oil pump or the sleve being the problem here? OR teh tentioners being too tight on the chain. Any general signs you may have seen before. The engine is kind of locked. Its not moving an inch.I will attach a couple of pictures to give you the idea of the timing marks.

Archived