CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

99 STS - outside mirror loose, how to fix?

The passenger side outside mirror has somehow worked loose and has about half an inch of free play at the top side of the base. Presumably just needs a bolt tightened somewhere, accessible from the inside of the door?

How much of the door needs to be disassembled to get to the bolt?

Thx,

Keith.

'99 STS.

HA! I had the same problem on mine. You have to take the door panel off (i can tell you exactly how to do this if you don't have a FSM).. There are 3 nuts that hold the mirror on and mine was so loose the nut fell off the end and was inside the door.. I put some thread sealer on them and tightened it back up (luckily I found the nut). The whole door panel comes off in one piece and then you can 'pull back' the plastic piece behind the mirror to get to the bolts (it's a pain to take off).

Sure.. Just glad to hear someone else had the problem and I wasn't the only one with a mirror falling off.. seems very cheap of cadillac to not loctite the mirrors or at least a lockwasher.. I don't know why they didn't do that. was wondering what else they forgot to do on my car :> The only issue with the door panels is usually some of the little plastic things break off when you take the door off so it might be a good idea to go get a couple in case you break em. (they are 2 pieces) other than that it requires no special tools (socket wrench and screwdriver)

Archived