CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Rattling cat.

STS Scott

A few days ago my cat. began to rattle, and has been driving me nuts. Just above an idle, or at cruising speed (1200-1500 RPMs) seems to be the "sweet spot" where is vibrates the most.

I have read of the brick inside them going "bad", and causing this rattle, but is it possible something is just loose?

I haven't got under the car yet, but was wondering what I should be looking for when I do.

Thanks!

" ...'took my Cobra down t' the track, hitched to the back o' my Cadillac..."

- Jan & Dean, 'hey little cobra'

Scott

A few days ago my cat. began to rattle, and has been driving me nuts. Just above an idle, or at cruising speed (1200-1500 RPMs) seems to be the "sweet spot" where is vibrates the most.

I have read of the brick inside them going "bad", and causing this rattle, but is it possible something is just loose?

I haven't got under the car yet, but was wondering what I should be looking for when I do.

Thanks!

Take a rubber mallet and bang on it, you should hear noise inside it. I had one go on a 91 Seville and it was loud. It sounded like a can with cans inside it. Mike

CATs are cheap to replace now.. They used to be 300-400$ long time ago but now you can pick up a high flow one for $89 if you want :>

Using a rubber mallet is a good way of testing the cat but it's not allways conclusive. Another sign of a bad cat is excessive whistle when you rev the car at park. I replaced my cat a month ago because I bombed the aircare inspection in vancouver. My Hydrocarbon and NOx levels were way above the limit. I purchased a cat here for $160 can (including tax) and I passed the inspection.

It might be the muffler hangers that are loose, or the muffler is banging into the heat shield. I know my whole exhaust is shot.. rattles like your's does. but i can hear the air escaping.

Going to replace it all pretty soon, once i get the idle speed down some and maybe a running rich problem, dont wanna burn it up.

Archived