CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

A/C working great!! Thanks!

caddydude

:D:P;) Wanted to say thanks to all the dudes on this board for all the info on replacing my A/C compressor, dryer, orifice tube, etc. It's been up and running since Monday and working great (puts frost on the windows, burrrr!) :P Special thanks to KHE, rek, and careldo (if I forgot someone, sorry). I'll be watching the board and will help anyone out that I can.

:D:P;) Wanted to say thanks to all the dudes on this board for all the info on replacing my A/C compressor, dryer, orifice tube, etc. It's been up and running since Monday and working great (puts frost on the windows, burrrr!) :P Special thanks to KHE, rek, and careldo (if I forgot someone, sorry). I'll be watching the board and will help anyone out that I can.

Terrific I am happy you got it going. I have the new compressor, orifice tube and accumulator. Did you flush the system or just replace the oil for each component? I have a 96 Deville also, where is the orifice tube? Did you take it to have it evacuated and recharged? Mike

Mike,

I flushed my own system with mineral spirits using a flush kit I purchased from AC Source.com for $31.50, part number 91046A. To use the kit you unscrew the top of an aluminum cylinder that comes in the kit and you fill it half way up with mineral spirits and replace the top and fill the cylinder with compressed air (90 lbs. air). Put it on, or in the ends of the open lines and blast away. I flushed mine both ways to make sure the system was clean. Since I used mineral spirits I decided to use brake clean to remove any oily residue left behind. I put the brake clean in the original evaporator that I was not replacing and filled it until it ran out or I couldn't get it to take anymore. Then I put an air hose (I have a big air compressor) into the evaporator and blew the brake clean through the system. The orifice tube must be removed before you flush the system and is located in the evaporator line on the high side which is the line that runs from the power brake booster area over to the evaporator. I got the orifice tube part way out with a small hook that came in a set of screwdrivers and then I was able to grab it with a pair of needle nose pliers. I purchased a small air vacuum pump, again from ACSource.com, for $49.00, part number 91200, which hooks to your compressor provided you have one. It worked great for me (pulled 30 in. of vacuum). I let the pump run for a couple of hours. To be accurate you will need a set of gauges for the pump if you decide to do this yourself. I can give you info on the ones I have if you need it. You will need Nylog for the O-rings when you re-assemble the system. I put four oz. of PAG oil in the new compressor which you must turn over 10 times before installing on the car to get the oil circulated and I added the other four oz. to the accumalator/dryer. I did charge the system myself with a charging kit I bought at KMart which has a gauge on it to let you know how much pressure you have in the system, you keep installing R-134A until the gauge is in the safe zone, my car took three cans. I did install one can of R-134A before I started the car so the system would not be a "dry run". A big help would be to buy a 15mm ratching wrench. If you have any more questions let me know. Caddydude

Archived