CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Noises

I have a 97,STS 4.7 Northstar. When the car is in idle it makes noises also when I turn on the AC sorry cant describe very good. But when I drive it for a while like down the highway for a while or when it gets hot the noises dissapear. If someone has the answer for this please replay. Thanks

I see you are new to this board and really don't know your "4.6" Northstar's tendancies. I believe almost all Northstars make a light clacking noise when cold. I believe it's due to carbon build up. Just hammer it on the highway a couple of times to clear it out. If you see black smoke after doing that then it's a good thing. Do it till no more comes out of the tail pipe. Or if you want a sure way to clear it up, go to the dealer, they can spray this engine top cleaner stuff into the engine head. Don't know the price off hand. Finally check your oil level.

As for the Ac, if you hear a little "chirp" sound when it comes on, that is also normal. Just spray the AC clutch with wd40. Don't get any on the belt of course. Check the belt also, it may be worn out and slipping.

I'm sure the pros cover what I missed...

If there is carbon build I would try some Zmax to clean it out, its micropartical cleaner git also goes in to your engine through the oil and the fuel. It also gets absorbs into the metal to smoothin it out and reduces friction and increases horsepower. I t works like a charm.

Archived