CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Error message on DIC appeared daily but intermittently "SPEED LIMIT 145". On the way to the dealer for repair, the "Check Engine" light came on. The dealer found that the catalytic was partially plugged and was causing the speed limit error signal. They explained that the problem in the catalytic converter worsened and caused the check engine light to come on.

They've ordered the catalytic converter (5 to 7 days).

I thought the speed limit DIC error was solely contributable to suspension issues and I'm afraid the dealer may have missed something. I have very recently purchased this car and am concerned of getting stuck with a major repair. The rear strut (error code without diagnosis) costs approx $3500 to replace.

Can the Speed Limit error message be related to an emmissions systems problem?

Thanks,

Steve

Let the dealer do the emissions warranty work and find someone else to find your intermittent suspension problem. Or do it yourself.

You will need the DTCs displayed on the Driver Information Center and here is how to do that:

http://www.caddyinfo.com/readingcodes.html

The "C" (Chassis) DTCs are of special interest.

[bruce: could we have a quick link to the old How-To pages (if they still exist)?]

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Right now the selling dealer (a GM dealer) is covering the speed limit problem (delivered with this problem) so I'm very concerned that this was diagnosed properly.

The car is being serviced by a local dealer...The selling dealer is not the local dealer repairing the CC. Because the selling dealer is so far away, they've agreed to have it looked at by a local dealer.

The owner's manual identifies this as a suspension problem but that doesn't always mean that it is not connected to other systems in the car...especially in a highly electronically integrated car like the Cadillac...

Looking for anyone with experience or knowledge with this problem?

SPEED LIMIT TO 90 – 113: A failure in the suspension

control system has occurred when this message

appears. The Powertrain Control Module (PCM)

determines the speed to which your vehicle is limited.

Have your vehicle serviced if this message appears.

We need the DTCs before we can help you. Whoever is doing the work will also need the DTCs before they can do an effective diagnosis and repair on the suspension system.

And if they do not have Cadillac suspension training/experience you could be hearing more BS explanations.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

The warning message "SPEED LIMITED TO 145" came on today for approximately 1 km then went out. I stopped and without turning the engine off I checked the codes. This is what came up:

AMP U1016 History

AMP U1000 History

DDM U1301 History

IPM B1343 History

RIM B1328 Current

What do you think?

Thanks,

Steve

None of the codes you report are related to your suspension system and the suspension system is where the logic begins for your SPEED LIMITED message.

If it was me, I would live with an occasional short lived message until you can display a "C" (chassis) code.

Do you live in an area were heavy doses of road salt are used? You could be experiencing corroded/oxidized electrical connections in places on the car that are exposed to whatever gets splashed up from the road surface. for example; B1328 = Vehicle system voltage is greater than 15.9 volts. That "could" indicate a temporary less-than-perfect connection at the alternator.

Clear those codes and see which ones reappear.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

I live in southern Ontario and we use salt on the roads. The previous owner lived in rural southern Ontario so salt and gravel. The dealer has been trying to fing the problem during test drives with their computer attached. The warning does not give them a error code that corresponds to the warning. The dealer has offered to take the car back for full refund. I'm not sure if this problem will turn into a money pit...

Not knowing how much of a "car guy" you are, I won't even begin to suggest how to evaluate the dealer's offer.

But if it was me ---- I would keep that car and deal with the repairs. Myself.

A 2004 Seville STS model is a very rare bird. None were sold as new in the US; they were all exported across the river to provide a model identity break for the all-new 2005 STS.

Good luck with it. And if you decide you can't live with potential liabilty of a 'money pit', offer to sell the car to Cadillac lovers first!!

PS: the dealer is not going to locate the problem without putting the car on a lift and doing a thorough, systematic, wire harness by wire harness, and connector by connector inspection. Which could easily consume 4 or more hours of his most trusted technician's time at whatever the hourly rate is.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Archived