CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Car isn't running like it should

Well, you know you have a problem with your cars power, when you start loosening to a bunch of 4 bangers on the track...

However all of the cars I lost to either had turbo or bolt on modifications...so Im not totally shocked.

I ran my G-tech on one of the races. And I got a 7.2 sec sprint to 60mph! :o How terrible is that?

Now let me get into detail. When I first got my new G-tech Pro back in January, I would occasionally test run my car through on ramps and open back roads only testing my 0-60 and never my ¼. Well back in January I would always get mid to low 6 sec range, my fastest run to 60 if I recall was 6.5 seconds. Never saw 7 or up…well I stashed it away into my glove compartment only to bust it out once again these past few months.

Since then I installed a pair of Dynomax super turbo mufflers, Catco high flow catalytic converter, removed the spare tire in the rear (I have AAA, and anyway the spare tire Rim was rusting...go figure) and finally I took out my stock airbox which had a K&N drop in filter and replaced it with a huge Fram Air Hog cylinder filter (not cone) Plus I removed all the plastic crap that was underneath the stock airbox. As of right now you can pretty much see inside of the fender well through the 5-inch radius hole that was covered up by all the plastics. recent runs have shown some poor numbers, I averaged 6.9 sec overall...fastest was 6.6 sec..coulndt break any lower than that ..6.8..6.9..6.8.. <_< and can't forget my slowest yet..7.2 :ph34r:

Now I know it could be a ton of things gone wrong...but could it possibly be my air intake? Now all the test runs I’ve done were all at night and the weather was fairly dense most of the time, so my question is, can all the heat from the engine that is sucked into the Air filter be the culprit? To be honest the car does feel a bit slower off the line…but hammering it from a 40mph roll, it goes like hell. Yet its not enough to take out single turbo Civics and lightly modified RSX’

On a happier note, I beat a Mustang GT and a C5 coupe! They were total jokes

Both drivers couldn’t even put the darn shifter in the right gear most of the time…I saw a C5 loose to a Civic Hatch!!!! When the Stang driver asked if I had a V8 or V6 I said…” what do you think”…it was sad really, both him and the C5 driver didn’t speak English all to well, not an excuse for being bad drivers though

I actually raced the Corvette from a roll and I pulled away from him LOL LOL trust me I didn’t want to win, I wanted him to smoke me so bad so I can hear and look at this thing go...what a shame :(

One would think with a loss of power that bad that a code would show up somewhere. But I've seen it not happen. Try running the car cold.. start it up let it warm up for about a minute and then do a 0-60 run.. then do one after it's warmed up a while, then do one at night when it's colder and test the results. What kind of gas are you using? :)

As a suggestion I would reccommend putting the intake back together in stock form, then try a few runs to see if it improves your preformance. You may be setting up a bunch of turbulance that could be upsetting the intake flow.

With possibly a few exceptions, everyone who has altered the intake path has lost speed/power.

-George

Drive'em like you own 'em. - ....................04 DTS............................

DTS_Signature.jpg

I gained some power on the intake by replacing with a K&N Cone filter , but then again I also did the exhaust, so I think it goes hand in hand. Maybe the people who lost some power had stock exhaust? I dunno.. Just a thought

I gained some power on the intake by replacing with a K&N Cone filter , but then again I also did the exhaust, so I think it goes hand in hand.  Maybe the people who lost some power had stock exhaust?  I dunno..  Just a thought

I would tend to agree with you. I normally improved the intake on all of my past high performance cars and there was definite improvement. The Northstar seems to have more than adequate intake flow in stock form though.

I think the best place for performance gains on this engine lie in freeing up the exhaust a bit. Next would be a change of cams. Then maybe opening up the intake would be a benefit too power.

-George

Drive'em like you own 'em. - ....................04 DTS............................

DTS_Signature.jpg

Opening up the cams is fine, but then you can't change the configuration in the computer to take advantage of it so it's almost useless :/

They don't make anything for the newer cars.. i think at least 95 or 96 and later. If yours is older than that you might have a chance. I've e-mailed evey 'chip' place I can find. Right now i'm working on a computer program that will download new flash programming into the computer.

Hey if you figure out why it wasn't running as well as it should, let me know.. Mine does it sometimes too and I can't put a finger on it.. might be related to humidity, temperature, etc....

I called Fastchip and talked to someone over the phone...when asked if they had anything for a 94 Caddy STS he immediately said NO! And said he cant help me :wacko: stupid me, i chickened out and totally bought all that BS! Realizing after that a few members who posted up pictures of their cars have gotten chips done from Ed..err fastchip

I did E-mail Superchip...waiting for a reply :rolleyes:

Archived